Removal or radiotherapy

Thanks Isca, spookily I have just read the same article!

Many thanks CBR, I am really pleased to hear about the option you chose and the fact that it has worked out well for you, excellent! Very interesting to hear how it made you reappraise the hi fi; selling the 552/500 sounds like quite an adjustment but I can understand the rationale here - a priority shift. In the article that Isca refers to above Jools was advised that if he had ever wanted to buy a sport car then he should just get on with it and not wait…I can’t say that would be my choice.

Thanks Richard, my consultant did talk about the hormone treatment for the radiotherapy but thought that in my case that it would not be necessary. My radiotherapy is ‘only’ a 5-day session which implies a higher dosing to me with whatever that brings. Thanks also for your rationale on the surgery option.

Thanks Phil, just highlights the individual nature of. the cases, one size does not fit all.

Paul

This forum may be helpful:

1 Like

excellent, much appreciated Richard.

Five years on from radio therapy I am now on nine monthly watch.
I was guided by the consultant on which route to take.
I hated the sweats. They seemed to go on for months.
20 radio therapy sessions left me with a few problems which are manageable but I might have met them anyway due to my age.
Fabulous care,love and humour from all NHS staff involved.

4 Likes

My older brother found he had aggressive prostate cancer when he changed jobs aged 50 and had to take a medical for the health insurance. He had it removed but his PSA started to creep up a few years later so there was some follow-up radiotherapy afterwards. This has left him with bladder/bowel problems.
Following his initial diagnosis I also took a PSA test and found my level was also raised despite having no symptoms. That was 6 years ago but luckily my PSA has remained below 8 and my urologist is happy to take the position of watchful waiting with 6 monthly blood tests. When the time comes for more aggressive treatment I will not have any procedure that does not preclude eventual removal.
You do not say how old you are (I was 51 when diagnosed) as this is also a consideration as prostate removal can leave you with incontinence and, of course, sterile.

3 Likes

I was level 8 for years. Watching and waiting.
Then the PSA number rocketed. We will never know,but this was during a period of intense stress whilst one of my daughters slowly died.
I was 77 when undergoing therapy. Old bodies are tired and do not recover quickly.
I tell all men to get it checked.

4 Likes

In the 5 months I was waiting before surgery, all my investigations suggested that lifestyle, dietary in particular, influenced PSA level. PSA level seems to be related to inflammation.

I gave up wine (alcohol), coffee, tea. Spent more time in the sun gardening, drank pomegranate juice and herbal mint infusions as the mint was there in the garden, exercised more and lost weight. My PSA dropped from the high 10s to 10, and I was peeing much more easily. Like others from a slow rise it shot up and I had left it more than a year between tests and examinations.

I still had it removed and only drink alcohol occasionally now.

It seems worthwhile to listen to your body and try to understand how lifestyle affects processes. I qualified as a research physicist so that is what we learned to do.

Phil

4 Likes

That is great to hear Nick, long may the news remain positive.

1 Like

Thanks Brown Owl. I am considered a young 65 (at least by me :grinning:). My PSA was initially 3.6 then crept to 4.7 (another reading showed it as 4.1) and now it is 6.4 so heading the one way. As per Phil, I took the same sort of improving health steps but my regime hasn’t necessarily provided the same benefits - but have certainly done no harm by following a more healthy lifestyle. My younger brother’s PSA was a very interesting 27 although not showing the same cancer signs & he is receiving treatment for this. My youngest brother’s PSA was recorded as 9 then dropping into the 4 range: we are all on the watchlist because of this being in our family history. I also agree, my choice will also need to keep any doors open for any further treatment (hopefully none but…).
Long may your PSA remain low & with no obvious signs.

1 Like

Hope things are slowly improving for you?

Life can be so crappy and when it gets crappy it all comes together for some reason

best wishes

Ian

1 Like

Stress is another interesting one Nick and I cannot imagine how you felt or even managed during such a time. It would be wonderful if the guideline was if you do x & y and avoid z then all would be fine but life & folk were never built that way. My consultant was telling me that as a generalisation that men under 60 went for the removal and those 70 or over typically opted for radiotherapy.

1 Like

There is also a certain preference for that by the doctors. I had to see the radiotherapy consultant even though I wanted the surgery. Ticks in boxes. In my case the surgery and recovery took about 6 weeks, but I don’t regret the choice.

Phil

1 Like

My opinion is if you have the chance, just have a prostatectomy, for me, it is a bit you directly go to Statement rather than start from 202/200 and then climb the stairs. For most cancers, surgeries are still the first choice, especially via da Vinci, there will be less trauma in this case.

2 Likes

thanks Desmond & thanks for the hi fi analogy, not an easy one to work into this thread!

1 Like

You’re welcome. Wish you get well soon!

2 Likes

The always watchable William Hurt , sadly passed away from Prostate Cancer

1 Like

Very reassuring, well done