Removing footer stains from a Fraim shelf?

I am downsizing my system and have sold off a few black boxes. I now have two empty shelves in my Fraim.
Problem is, the footers of the black boxes left nasty rings on the glass!
I have not tried scrubbing too hard, for fear of scratching the glass. Can I use lighter fluid? Any suggestions?

Try WD40

2 Likes

I sense the humour is strong in this one. Humour of the dark side. :smiley:

OK, I manned up and found my *****.

Take a wet J-cloth and rub till it goes away. It will not scratch the glass!

I use Windex and elbow grease. Problem solved.

If that doesn’t work, try steel wool. :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually WD40 is intended as a cleanser and just happens to also be a good lubricant. It is “Water Displacement formula No.40” and is for washing rust off metal parts and making ceramic repel water. So it may work.

High end restaurants spray it in toilet bowls to prevent err… a different type of mark from being left behind.

But yeah I use Windex too. It does everything.

1 Like

Naim use Astonish Tile & Glass Cleaner to clean the black ‘boxes’. I would use that.

I think that you can get it on Amazon, or the Astonish company has a website.

(The Astonish company also makes a putty-like paste, sold in blue tubs, which is fantastic for cleaning any scum or scale in your shower room.)

All the best house-keeping tips here on this site - and at no extra charge!

2 Likes

Yes, but thereafter…

“The spray, composed of various hydrocarbons, was originally designed to be used by Convair to protect the outer skin of the Atlas missile from rust and corrosion. This outer skin also functioned as the outer wall of the missile’s paper-thin fuel balloon tanks, which were so fragile that, when empty, they had to be kept inflated with nitrogen to prevent them from collapsing. WD-40 was later found to have many household uses and was made available to consumers in San Diego in 1958.”

WD-40 History

(Another version I read was that it was used to keep water moisture from freezing, preventing ice build up on the skin of Atlas missiles.)

Back to the original question, I would have gone for White Spirit and/or Glass Cleaner. Simples…

1 Like

If you’ve done the shelf ping test (per the FAQs), the I’d suggest leaving the marks on them, as they won’t be seen with wide-box kit on the shelves and they’ll show the ‘right way up’ of the shelves?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.