Repair dent in a tweeter?

What do you think? There is a small dent in the tweeter. I do not hear any influence to the sound but I am thinking of pushing it back in shape from the inside out. Good idea or not?

Long thread here might be useful

I have not tried this, but would be tempted to warm with a hair dryer first and then perhaps apply a light vacuum with a vacuum cleaner…….gently though.

No I don’t think you will be able to get into the back of it. Vacuum cleaner as suggested. Awful predicament to be in. Maybe just leave it if you can’t hear it? Or get new twitters priced to help you decide.

The vacuum cleaner trick can sometimes work well, but you do need to be careful. Choose a vaccuum cleaner with a dial to vary suction power would be my advice and be prepared to replace the tweeter if it all goes wrong. Sticky tape can also work too - the trick is finding tape that’s sticky enough without being overly sticky…

My old Proac 1SC were treated like doorbells when my kids were small. I found the vacuum cleaner trick worked really well. Once I’d sucked their eyeballs out they never found the speakers again.

G

28 Likes

Stick a needle into the dome and pull out the dent. A few tiny holes in the tweeter isn’t going to cause a problem.

Hi Jan, these don’t look like soft-dome tweeters to me. Perhaps ceramic or metal. If so, I think you are out of luck. Just replace them and buy a spare pair while you still can.

1 Like

Thanks all for the suggestions! Issue is that ASW went bankrupt. And i sold these speakers but only now noticed it…

I’ve had it in the past with visiting kids and both the hoover trick, on low power, and sticky tape have worked

Personally I’d only ever consider using a vacuum cleaner on a tweeter if it has a vent to reduce suction, even then it could be risky. Mouth and a cardboard or plastic tube the same diameter or slightly smaller than the outside of the dome part is safest. However, with the two protective bars in place you can’t position a tube on the diaphragm itself- I would be very wary of surrounding the whole tweeter and sucking. Unless those bars come off, which doesn’t look probable from the photo, personally I’d leave be given the small extent of the denting- it is extremely unlikely to make an audible difference.

1 Like

Ouch, you need to fix them for the new owner then?

Are they actually ASW drivers? If not, they’re pretty likely to be make by a driver manufacturer, if that manufacturer is still around you might be able to buy replacements. Would have to inspect the back of the driver to work out model numbers, or find out from the specs of the ASW speakers if that info is available

…just having a look about, maybe ASW made the drivers, apologies for above suggestion if so!

1 Like

I’ve had success with masking tape, or better, Blu-Tac in removing damage like this. Those ‘protective’ bars in front of your tweeter isn’t going to make this easy though.

Not something I like admitting,but rather than risk damaging it with a vacuum cleaner,I used my mouth to suck out a dented tweeter once. Worked like a charm too, it was with a softdome Dynaudio speaker. Or, you could ask your girlfriend to perform the task.

5 Likes

Remember it’s suck not blow.

4 Likes

I reckon the cardboard roll inside a cling wrap would be about the right size.

1 Like

Tweeter falacio is the way of the wise. LOL

1 Like

I used a vacuum cleaner to fix mine and it worked perfectly. Like all things you need to be careful.

When my son was a toddler he thought the soft-dome tweeters on my speakers were buttons and pushed them both in. The vacuum cleaner trick fixed it.

It doesn’t take much suction to do it, so the trick is to use both hands and prop the nozzle away from the speaker, approaching slowly until the dome pops out. If you let the nozzle get too close, you risk it attaching itself to the speaker and possibly causing some damage.

I am sure many have had success with the vacuum but I would definitely try the cardboard tube first. I have taken a few tweeters apart and they are quite delicate in their construction. A vacuum could damage the tiny voice coil or even suck a fabric dome out. I’d be careful. Maybe ok on a woofer but I wouldn’t try my luck on a tweeter.