Replace CD player with Streamer

Which Classical stuff ? Generally, in the Classical music world, CD is massive.

A few times now theyā€™ve played stuff on R3 and when Iā€™ve looked on Amazon CD not available.

There are other sources of CDs than Amazon. Presto Classical is an excellent company, which offers a large range of classical and also does other things like reviewing new releases on its website. Often cheaper than Amazon, too, though you need to spend Ā£25 to get free postage.

Some record companies, Hyperion for example, also sell CDs directly.

But I do find downloading offers other advantages. Nearly all recent classical releases are available in better than CD quality, it avoids the admittedly minor faff of ripping and no extra physical storage space is required. And if youā€™re impatient, you get to hear your purchase immediately. But thatā€™s just me.

Roger

Thanks Roger. It certainly presents a dilemma. Iā€™m reluctant to shift to streaming because that would involve selling the CDS3 to make room for a streamer, and to these ears Iā€™m yet to hear a streamer that gets near the CDS3 in terms of performance, but thatā€™s another issue! Iā€™ll check out Hyperion, Presto etc.

1 Like

I faced that dilemma last year Lindsay. I sold my CDS3 but kept the XPS for a new NDX2. I also bought a Core at the same time to go with a Qobuz subscription. I loved the CD player but really enjoy streaming against all expectations. It was honestly a difficult call but now delighted that I made itā€¦

It would be worth taking your CD player to a dealer and doing a demo with it against some streamers.

This is just for comparison for CD players and streaming.

DGā€¦

One more vote.

Over 20 years, I didnā€™t hear a CD player that I liked even nearly as much as my CDS2.

I got an NDX2 - I was surprised how much I enjoy the near-infinite library, but I wasnā€™t surprised that most of my CDs sounded better than any stream I could find.

People suggested I add an XPSDR to my NDX2. They were right. There is now no consistent SQ difference (to my ear) between a good stream and my CD, though there are several CDs that I still prefer to any stream I have found.

Overall, I reckon matching your CD player purely on SQ means NDX2+XPSDR - not cheap - or (shock) looking beyond Naim.

2 Likes

I had a CDS2 and CDS3 and their performance can be met and outdone with a Naim streamer depending on where you start. I was reluctant to get into streaming but so glad I did now that I made the plunge. Better in SQ and overall music enjoyment as a medium for me.

Okay guys, subjective judgements at play as ever, I would just say that Iā€™ve met more than one former CDS3 owner who regrets their decision.

Absolutely: subjective comment is the best I can do.

1 Like

Yeah, people let their emotions cloud their judgements all the time in HiFi. I havenā€™t met anyone whoā€™s moved on from a CDS2/3 and regretted it. Iā€™m sure theyā€™re out there though.

Cds2 to NDX2/555drps
No regrets whatsoever
David

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.