Replacing SuperUniti?

I’ve added a 250DR to my SuperUniti, along with an NDX2. The uplift in sound quality and engagement has been substantial, and I don’t feel that I’m missing that much with my SL2 speakers. The longer term plan is to get a 282/supercap or 252/supercap, but this isn’t a bad place to pause until the opportunity to get either of them in to replace the preamp stage

You need that preamp!! I added an NDX and a 200DR to my SU a few years back, and it did sound better, but the improvements were small compared to adding a proper preamp (282 in my case) to bring it all together.

1 Like

The Superuniti is still a fantastic piece of kit.

Bought one last year at the start of lockdown for an office system (from dealer, 2012 non Bluetooth, freshly serviced by Naim). It was so engaging to listen to that it moved into the lounge. It didn’t start to struggle until we upgraded to Sonus Faber floor standing speakers. Added a NAP250DR which was a huge improvement in terms of noise floor, clarity, soundstage and control.

If you need the latest streaming features then ND5XS2 into a Superuniti would certainly be one option. It was one we considered when we had a demo with ND5XS2 into Nait when listening to new speakers. Sounded very nice indeed. That was before we had the 250 tho.

Once we’d added the NAP we ultimately decided the SU was the “weakest link”. Because we only use digital input (Sky!), internet radio and streaming FLAC from a Synology NAS with Asset we went a different route to HiFi nirvana. NDX2/282/HC is ~12K but then when Naim discontinued the N272 some mainstream dealers started basically giving them away so we swapped out the SU for one of those. Another incremental jump in terms of sound quality.

A used/ex-demo XPS DR is on the shopping list. In a year or two we might revisit and swap the 272 for a replacement should one arrive, or maybe add an NDX2 with a view to a 272/282 swap (or keep 272 for streaming only). But we’ve no pressing need for new features and the 272 sounds wonderful with CD rips, and amazing with 24bit/96khz files.

The SU is back in my office which was its original purpose!!! I think it will stay there for a long time. Joy.

1 Like

Indeed. I still love it. :muscle:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.