Replacing Washi paper with Lyra Lydian

Oddly enough, TEAC use washi as an entire layer sandwiched between the top and sub chassis on their top end decks.

They claim it makes a suberb isolating layer.

1 Like

What I have learnt is that Paper is a general term used by laymen, like us, to describe pretty much all sheets as you describe. But in fact , as a technical category, only sheets made from tree pulp is Paper.

Everything else is catergorarised as something else. Washi paper is most definitely not a fabric, but paper because it is made from a tree pulp. What defines Paper is the base material used, ie. Tree pulp, not flax or grass of wool or flax.

For example, Papyrus is not paper because the base material is grass.

What makes Washi Paper so special is it’s strength over other types of paper because of the way it is made. If it was a fabric, it would not be so special.

If Washi Paper has traces of cotton or flax or anything else it it, then it’s not defined as Washi but simply poor quality paper. The technique to structure paper does not define if it’s a Paper or a Fabric either, but the base material. Hence the title ‘intangible cultural heritage.

We will have to disagree on this, but it’s a very interesting topic.

2 Likes

I wonder when the day will come when Washi Paper will be used in an esoteric speaker cone. The music would be intangible.

Exists. Orion make a system with washi drivers.

Before you get excited, Orion are like the Japanese equivalent of the Argos catalogue own brand. Speakers and receiver for $150.

Lipstick on a pig is still a pig.

Well, that’s really disappointing, Zen.

I think that depends on whether your reply refers to paper generally or Washi specifically.

The making of paper from wood pulp is a 19th century process, the best date I can find is 1843, in the UK Frogmore Mill claims to be the birthplace of papers industrial revolution.

Prior to this paper was made from rags and today the best rag paper is the choice of artists, mainly those working in watercolour.
History - Fabriano.

When I was younger it was possible to watch rag paper making at Wookey Hole in Somerset, a mill dating from 1610.

Paper making from plant materials in China dates back even further.

1 Like

Washi making goes back almost 1800 years. It’s not made with wood pulp proper but from some type of tree’s bark and also certain bushes.

Lots of information, on Washi, here, for you to read…

Washi - on Wikipedia

Do itashimashite… :expressionless:

Hmmm… I smell a marketing rat! Much like SONY’s claim that the water (from a babbling stream somewhere in the mountains of Japan) was the only way to make their paper pulp speaker cones in their high end ES Speakers of the 1990s!

Having worked in a paper mill for many years. Paper can be made from many base products. Predominantly, it is wood pulp, but as mentioned earlier, that is fairly modern.

Rags of a variety of material, grass, tree bark can all be used to make paper and it is all called paper.

Prior to the polymer bank notes, the paper that the UK bank notes was made from was primarily cotton as this gives increased strength and durability.

1 Like

I know this response won’t be popular but if my Delos needed this repair (this model and many other Lyras do not require disassembling) I’d really be tempted to replace this tiny covering with perhaps a similarly-sized tiny piece of self-adhesive medical-grade paper tape and do the “repair” with the cartridge in-place. Perhaps that’s being lazy but I think maybe preferable to the risk of dismounting the cartridge. Only issue would be rebalancing the arm.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.