Reset Music Database on Core - how long

On advice from Naim Service I hit the button to Rebuild my Music Database this morning. Now some 3 hours later under Albums or Artists I get No Result - there are no albums appearing at all. Everything is still there (I can see the albums in Finder) with 2.3TB out of 4TB on the disc occupied. Clear Image Cache and Reset App don’t help. So I was just wondering how long it should take to rebuild the database, and at what point it would be safe to reset the Core (which I’m pretty certain would solve the problem) - I don’t want to do a reset if the database is still re-indexing or whatever it does.

Occasionally I reindex the database on my Core and I have under 0.5 TB. It takes maybe 20 mins to finishing reindexing. But as it’s doing it, the number of albums available in the albums view of the Naim app gradually increases in small jumps until it finishes.

So your’s isn’t behaving as I would have expected. If it were me I would try killing and restarting the app and probably leave it another hour or so and then try a power off restart of the Core. If no albums show up then I would start the indexing again. If this still doesn’t work then I think a factory reset of the Core may be needed. Once you have done that you will need to tell the Core where your music store is again, but it should offer to use the existing store and then start indexing it.

Good luck!

Best

David

1 Like

Thanks David, I’ll try that. Ironically this is meant to test/fix the fact that the Core rips cds but then doesn’t add them to the store. So maybe the database is truly messed up.

Well I would have said first thing to try is power off restart of the Core, second thing to check is that the music store hasn’t somehow got unselected, third thing to try is rebuilding the database and fourth thing to try is a factory reset. So it sounds like Support are heading down a similar path!

I’ll keep my fingers crossed!

Best

David

Rebuilding the music database on my Naim HDX took many, many hours. I thought the unit was broken so sent it to a dealer who confirmed it was simply still rebuilding the database.
Leave it at least overnight to let it do its thing.
Mine at the time had about 1000 albums stored on it, probably only 1TB or less.
I suggest you wait a LOT longer!

The Core is very much faster than the HDX/US were.

Best

David

I rebuilt the database on my Core just two days ago - 220 albums all ripped in the last 2 months, but the album art had got lost as a result of internet connectivity issues - it took about 20 minutes to rebuild and the art is back…

Well it’s back up and running again - thanks for all the advice. What seems to have worked was indeed Rebuilding the Database, even though it didn’t behave as David suggested (albums didn’t reappear gradually). I just left it “rebuilding” for several hours, assumed at some point it had finished, and did a power off restart. And I can rip and copy again. The power off restart, or indeed a factory reset, did not work on their own, so I assume the Rebuild is what did the trick. Especially as I did the same on two near-identical hard drives both demonstrating the same problem, and both are now fixed.

Thanks once more for the great advice!

David

Glad it’s working again! When you do a factory reset it has to rebuild the database because the existing one has by definition been deleted. It should do it automatically once you tell it where the music store is. But the rebuild takes time. Not sure why your’s didn’t show up in the way I described, but anyway no worries for now anyway!

Best

David

So I decided an ideal time to do a back up. Plug in the external drive I’ve just restored from (3 days ago), tap Backup Music and Backup Now, choose the drive, Yes to proceed, and a minute later… Status = Size Error. Tried it a few times. Any thoughts?

I’ve not heard of this error before but it sounds as if your backup disc is too nearly full. How much spare room does it have on it?

Best

David

Hi - I can see in Finder that the Core has 1.59Tb available, implying 2-2.4Tb are used (it’s a 4Tb drive). The backup drive has a useable 3.64Tb so there should be at least 1.2Tb free on it. Assuming Size error implies there isn’t enough room on the backup disc, it rather suggests it is trying to back up everything, rather than just the incremental files added since the last backup. I was wondering if the database rebuild has confused it and it can’t work out what is incremental and what isn’t?
In which case I’d have to Configure a New Backup and overwrite the old one - which I guess is my default option anyway.

You are probably right, although I did a rebuild of my index and subsequently did a backup which was incremental as I expected.

You could try doing a power off restart of the Core, but if that doesn’t help then it’s either have a chat with Naim technical support or do a whole new backup, which will take a long time as you know!

Best

David

Having experienced the feelings of 'Is it working?, ‘Is anything happening?’, and ‘What should I do?’ after selecting ‘Rebuild music database’ on the Core ‘Other Options’ page, I would emphasise the need for Naim to ensure that in a future version of the app, a progress bar and some kind of acknowledgement of start, progress and completion is included.

2 Likes

You would be better to use the Naim app to send the suggestion direct to Naim, they do not read every post on the forum.

1 Like

You can get a sort of progress bar by going to your albums screen (the one in your screen shot in the other thread). Once you tell the Core to rebuild its database that screen will be empty and then gradually it will populate it a few albums at a time. At the bottom of the page is the number of albums and you can watch that gradually increase. It takes about ten minutes to do 500 albums I would estimate, from memory.

Best

David

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.