Returning to Naim

Cohen1623, If contemplating a return to Naim, I’d suggest that before working to a budget, consider how many boxes you are willing to put up with and manage. Quite a few folks on here seem to have hit the pause button and considered how to achieve an acceptable balance between sound quality and space take.

Assuming boxes aren’t a problem I would consider the following and have no problem at all mixing in ex-dem units which would come with a full Naim warranty.

Pre - 552dr

Power - 300dr or 500dr - I’d be happy with either, depending on room and speaker size/ loading.

LPs - I’m lazy and looking at where you were with an LP12, similar to mine, I’d make a bee line for Leicester. There are of course other sources but this will require some leg work for auditioning in different environments. As I say, I’m too lazy! Beware the Tangerine options! I have been Tango’d!!

LP’s II - Phono stage and power supply may need a bit of thinking - radikal and urika would provide a good starting point. I have enjoyed Tom Evans phonos over the years.

CD’s - Naim no longer make cd players but you could pick up a used CD555 or CDS3 - more boxes. Alternatively, as you don’t have them, consider an Innuos server such as Zenith or Statement. These have an integral cd slot and you can burn all of your cd’s directly to the dedicated drive. You can think about whether you really want or need a cd player later; rather than buy one from the outset and find it is unused.

Here’s where I would look to others more technically gifted than me to contribute. I have connected my Innuos to my ND555 and this works fine. My only reservation is that I suspect the Innuos and ND555 have an overlap of streaming components and I can’t help feel that money may have been put to better use - I’m not sure how!! Also consider a back up solution so that you are not reliant on a single hard drive for all your digital music content.

Speakers - Good luck!! There are so many products out there as to be bewildering and as often said, you really ought to hear them in your room before being able to properly decide. I currently have B+W’s but were I starting from scratch I’d certainly want to have a look at the Kudos Titan range. I’ve only heard the 808’s which were mighty impressive.

Other bits - I’m sure you will be aware that you can sink a chunk into power/ interconnect/ speaker cables and the likes of Fraim. They are worth factoring in as, in my opinion, they make a considerable contribution to the overall system performance.

Get your MS Excel worksheet and man logic fired up for some debate! Good luck with your return to the fold.

Peter

3 Likes

How do you connect your Nd555 to the Innuos S? In spdif ? Both to a switch ? Or Innuos to a switch and Nd555 to the second Ethernet port of the Innuos ?

If I had £100k for a Naim/Linn system I would go for the following:
552 DR used
500 DR used
ND555 new plus 1 or 2 555PSDR used
LP12 Klimax ex demo.
CD555 plus 1 or 2 555PSDR used
Kudos Titan 808
Full Fraim used or ex demo
I would get the 552, 500 and ND555 with one power supply first and the Fraim and then gradually get the CD player and Linn LP12 at good prices when available. Then get additional power supplies for the ND555 and CD555 as and when.

I would call all the Naim dealers in the UK and see what they have ex demo or used and look at the usual websites for used. That way you will make 25% to 50% savings on Naim products. You can always get them serviced from Darran at Class A.

If you don’t want the CD player or you want to go halfway then get a CDS3 with XPS2 or DR, or 555PS or DR. Great player.

You will have to look at NAS drive or some form of CD ripper, interconnects, cables and potentially your mains power supply upgrading and room treatment depending on your property.

Good luck with it all! Most importantly enjoy rhe music.

Nice problem to have.

When available this is an option worth considering.

Naim New Dawn for Music product launch on 21st may also add a new option for you to consider @Cohen1263

2 Likes

Unlike pretty much everyone on this forum I’d listen to lots of speakers first. You won’t be able to listen to most of them in your room but you should be able to get a good idea of what you like listening at good dealers. I’m not a proponent of source first because if you’re starting from scratch how can you tell what you like without speakers. Speakers I like ProAc K6 signatures, Wilson Alexia’s, Magnepan, MBL, Kudos. If I had 100k to spend on a new system I would spend some time going to a couple of Audio Shows to listen. Rocky Mountain in Colorado is a great show (weed is legal) Munich is globally the biggest hi-end show. Good Luck…

3 Likes

frenchrooster, I am a self proclaimed ignoramus of all things digital and it is a major bugbear of mine that I have not progressed matters. Qualifications over…

My set up has a cable running from the virgin media router to the rear of the etheregen. There is also a cable at the rear connected to a NAS. Another cable runs from the single port at the front to the Innuos and there is a direct connection from the Innuos to the ND555. I’m pretty sure I gleaned this arrangement from various helpful comments in the streaming section posts. Happy to be corrected!

Peter

1 Like

I have not heard them, but were I starting out afresh, I would like to hear some of the Magico speakers. Probably more out of curiosity as they can be remarkably expensive.

Peter

1 Like

So the connection from Innuos to Nd555 is by Ethernet cable?

Yes, all connections are via ethernet from router to switch to Innuos to ND555.

Peter

1 Like

Many thanks to Peter, Ross and Dan at Acoustica for supplying my new system at a very good price.

Special thanks to Pete and Dan (who were here until 7pm yesterday, 6 hours install time to include lunch break ) for the meticulous setting up, especially the SL2’s.

So after visits to three dealers and a few dem’s, I decided on this system.

ND555/ 555PS x2
Core
SL2’s
SL throughout
Chord Silent Mounts
FRAIM

I have a Solstice on order and a Chord Sarum Array to go between 552 and 552PS

The configuration to ND555 is Router / 1m CAT5e/ Cisco 2960/ 30m x Designacable Belden CAT5e/EE8 switch/ Chord Sig to ND555/ Belden Cat5e to Core.

Streamer is Pete’s own model loaned to me as it was the only component that Acoustica didn’t have in stock. Otherwise all new out of the boxes apart from the SL2’s which were Pete’s also, now mine and going nowhere in a hurry!

Obviously the sound has all the hallmarks of new with a somewhat ‘strangled’ and ‘relentless’ character but the qualities of the system are more than hinted at with tremendous ‘flow’, speed and timing. My wife had to drag me out of the room at bed time such was the level of listening involvement.

Some experimenting with cables and switches up to ND555 to come but if it sounds like this out of the boxes then it’s going to be a fabulous system to listen to in 3 months time .

Cheers

31 Likes

What a cracking system that is! And a Taylor guitar by the looks of it!!

2 Likes

Wow, that’s awesome. Congratulations!!!

1 Like

Enjoy the groove!

1 Like

That’s quite a return … Enjoy :+1:

2 Likes

Nice system, enjoy

1 Like

Goodness me, that’s some system, congratulations, you must be delighted.

1 Like

That’s guys! I am delighted. I’ve had my ‘blubber’ moment already.

People can knock the Naim sound character all they like but dissecting the hifi sound and analysing the facets of it is missing the point in my opinion. I’m an emotional listener and this set up incites an response better than my previous sweet, clean but thick and slow sounding Audio Note system by some margin.

Interestingly the Cisco/ EE8 switch combo seems to work really well! Pete has left me a second EE8 to try in place of the Cisco. Fun to test!

6 Likes

Nice system, I’m sure it sounds great, especially once it’s all run in. I’m just wondering about the Fraim, wouldn’t it look better with black support pieces? It would match the speakers really well. Of course maybe there’s other silver stuff in your room?

It looks better in the flesh. It was a coin toss up between silver and black . There’s a case for all the platform finishes also IMO

1 Like

All Good.

1 Like