Reworkings of whole albums or ‘Best of’

Apart from the title song, this album has some live covers…

1 Like

Another great one…
Battle For Seattle

2 Likes

John Wesley Harding by Thea Gilmore.

3 Likes

Great shout @GavinB
Yes! How could I forget Little Roy, Battle For Seattle is a great album of Nirvana covers that work so well in the unlikely setting of Roots Reggae.
Btw Theres some good video of Little Roy doing Lithium from Later with Jools on Youtube

Great sound on my vinyl copy to.
Highly recommended!
:heart::heart::heart:

Thanks all
Due life getting in the way I’ve only managed to listen to Easy Stars All Star Dub Sidecof the Moon. On 3rd listen it gets better each time.

Added rest to the Qobuz playlist Reworkings…

This album is one of my favourites. Every track on it is better than the original IMO.

In 1980 Bunny Wailer (who around 1974 along with Peter Tosh split from the original Wailers) recorded these solo re workings and updated them for the times of original Wailers songs
20201108_144544
He followed this in 1981 with the excellent Tribute LP of further reworkings of later Bob Marley material

1 Like

This is a 4 CD retrospective reshuffling Joni’s best work. We like it very much.

Also, Check out Fire In the Hole by Sara Isaksson and Rebecca Tornqvist, where they do Steely Dan’s greatest hits. The CD is very difficult to find these days.

1 Like

Great rework of Ommadawn by Mike Oldfield called Return to Ommadawn

1 Like

At the risk of causing an outbreak of pearl-clutching, I prefer several of the tracks on Kraftwerk’s The Mix to their originals.

Mike Oldfield also re-recorded Tubular Bells in 2003. Not so sure about this one.

I always find it curious that it’s practically routine for classical artists to re-record their ‘classics’ (eg Karajan did three complete Beethoven cycles, and Glenn Gould did two very different Goldbergs), but until recently it was practically unheard of for rock/pop artists.

Mark

2 Likes

Are we allowing parody records?

:grin:

1 Like

At the risk of the Moderators Wrath for double posting…

Seems to be available on Tidal and others but can’t see it Qobuz

This is quite lovely. It’s interesting to hear her explain why she did it. Basically, she needed the money.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.