RIP Barry Humphries

A one-off, bona fide, copper bottomed superstar. RIP Barry.

3 Likes

Some of the Dames greatest moments

7 Likes

RIP and Respect Sir.

Gone But Not Forgotten.

DG…

3 Likes

Priceless👍

3 Likes

A true great.

His autobiography (More Please) is also one of the most enjoyable, funny and thought provoking I’ve ever read.

2 Likes

‘Les’ was a wonderful creation, no doubt!

4 Likes

Really sad news indeed. I always enjoyed his two alter egos, his razor sharp wit and loved watching him run rings around fellow TV peers and presenters with that whip crack mind. A one off. RIP Mr Humphries.

3 Likes

As everyone has said, such a major loss. He inhabited the characters so well I still struggle to believe Dame Edna wasn’t real, and his sharp wit was hilarious.

6 Likes

10 Likes

Les Patterson (I may be paraphrasing):

"If I wanted to smuggle drugs, I’d stick 'em up a dog’s arse!

Who’s going to look twice at one dog smelling another dog’s arse…?"

9 Likes

A person of rare highbrow wit disguised as low brow humour. Definitely a few decades ahead of his time and will be sorely missed.

Laughed till I cried many times.

“Spooky Little Darlings”

5 Likes

When Dame Edna was interviewing KD Lang there was the bizarre situation of a heterosexual man dressed as a woman putting questions to a homosexual woman dressed as a man.

‘She’ took it all in her usual inimitable stride, playing to the many sensibilities, and potential for offence on offer, and asked:

"So, just how old were you when you first realised that you were
Canadian…?"

7 Likes

It’s a classic episode. Another favourite is Parkinson interviewing Dame Edna with Jacques Villeneuve as the other guest. Jacques does a great job of just sitting bemused as Dame Edna takes centre stage.

She had such magnificent lead-ins to a punch line, such as Hilary Clinton being glad to find the lipstick on the collar (and not…)

Another favourite episode, about the only time I can think of that Dame Edna ceded control of the stage (to who else but Robin Williams):

3 Likes

I remember that. Another tear jerker.

Honestly, we take it for granted now because there are so many character comedians that do this but Humphries really paved the way for this format for Alan Partridge, Ali G, and even early Ricky Gervaise (when he was an alter ego of himself posing as an on-the-scene news reporter), and probably most similar to Mrs. Merton (may she rest in peace).

5 Likes

Sorry couldnt stand the ‘bloke’

1 Like

Well that’s good to know and you’re entitled to your opinion but why respond now 20 days later.

1 Like

Reminded of another classic Dame Edna line quoted in a UK paper a few days ago.

To women in audience, “That’s lovely dress material you’re wearing my darling, & so lucky to buy so much of it…”.

5 Likes

For a minute I thought maybe Mr. Humphries’ wife had joined the forum.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.