RIP Cathal Coughlan

So sorry to hear that Cathal has died at just 61. I loved Microdisney and Fatima Mansions, and had just started investigating Telefis. A true post-pop maverick and all-round Irishman extraordinaire.

1 Like

A big loss alright, RIP

1 Like

I don’t usually comment on death threads as I feel an element of self-aggrandisement to it all. However, like @bhoyo I loved much that Cathal did. An extraordinarily complex man in many ways but with an absolutely unique musical and lyrical vision. I had no idea he was ill at all but if you’ve not discovered any of his output then now is as good a moment as any.

1 Like

Yes, it sometimes seems there’s an “I said it first” element to RIP threads. But this one touched me, and I’d love more people to discover Cathal Coughlan’s music.

Such a shock to hear and far too young at 61.

First heard Microdisney in the 80’s and then followed Cathal into Fatima Mansions. Loved Crooked Mile, just wish they would re-release it.

“Only Losers Take the Bus”

RIP

1 Like

To my great surprise, the Microdisney albums all seem to be on Tidal.

Crooked Mile has only recently gone up on streaming services (Qobuz for me). I had checked for it within the last month or so and had seen no sign - so pleased to see it now.

Thanks also for the heads up on Telefis - I was not aware of that project with Jacknife Lee and will give it a listen.

Peter

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: What are you listening to in 2022 and why might anyone be interested

Oh right, sorry it was the what are you listening to thread of course, not sure how I deleted it, no worries, thanks

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.