RIP Charlie Watts

10 Likes

Oh dear, this is terribly sad news. R.I.P. Charlie Watts.

Thank you Charlie Watts, rest in peace.

The end of the Stones, the end of an era.

Absolute legend RIP Charlie.

He’s looked like he’s been dead for years

RIP Charlie. Never the showman but such a great musician. Stylish both visually and in his playing. ………irreplaceable and unforgettable One of a kind.

1 Like

I’d also like to celebrate the fantastic career Charlie enjoyed, staying in his drummer’s seat for such an amazing time period and providing entertainment for generation after generation. This will continue through his recorded music. Despite that, sad to say, RIP Charlie Watts.

Peter

7 Likes

Front Row tribute to him now on R4.

With all his fame and fortune, he remained the true humble gent.

RIP Charlie, absolute legend.

I loved the way he played with the snare drum hand using the classic jazz style between thumb and second fingers.
RIP Charlie.

1 Like

He was the Rock in rock’n’roll. RIP Charlie

1 Like

That is a really quality portrait of him there, affectionate and revealing. I was never into the Rolling Stones, but that portrait makes me miss him just the same.

1 Like

Riposa in pace,Charlie.

No real words to add…. Just thoughts and feelings.

2 Likes

Nancy Sinatra also shared, “As one famous story from the band’s heyday goes, Jagger once phoned Watts’ hotel room in the midst of an all-night party asking ‘Where’s my drummer?’ Watts reportedly got up, shaved, dressed in a suit, put on a tie and freshly shined shoes, descended the stairs, and punched Jagger in the face, saying: ‘Don’t ever call me your drummer again. You’re my f***ing singer!’”

9 Likes

R.I.P. Charlie Watts. We post many of these notices about musicians who have passed on, but this one really hurts.

4 Likes

I was partly brought up my Dad on jazz so my inclination was always towards those drummers who could not only keep it rock steady but syncopate and swing. Charlie along with Simon Kirke and Ginger Baker could do that together with the jazz guys Lenny White, Steve Gadd etc. But the other thing about Charlie was how minimal he was. Smallest drum kit but he could ignite a football stadium :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Just learned of this very sad news. RIP Charlie.

2 Likes

Another rock-n-roll legend passes. Eighty is a good run, but it still leaves a hole.

And from what I understand, he was a really good guy and very unaffected by his stardom and money.

1 Like