RIP Charlie Watts

Great quote in todays MOS from Charlie at an after show Stones party when he spotted Keith Richards dad drinking a beer.

“Don’t drink too much of that otherwise you’ll start to look like your son in a few years time”.

6 Likes

With this sad news, and watching the Crossfire Hurricane documentary, I’d like to hear them live from back in the day. They seem to have released plenty of live albums, so nominations please for the Stones’ best live album.

Thanks,

Mark

Perhaps In Rio, the concert most attended ever.

Coming 11th in the Planet Rock magazine top 100 live albums, was The Brussels Affair. Link > Why the Rolling Stones' 'Brussels Affair' Is Essential Listening

2 Likes

Never in a rush, just great.

2 Likes

I think it sort of depends on you, when they were in your time. For myself it’s the double vinyl of Love You Live!

For true aficionados, it’s probably Get Yer Ya-Yas Out! , appropriately enough featuring Charlie Watts on the cover.

From leftfield, I loved the IMAX film of the Still Life American tour of of 1982 and can easily recommend it, Mark, if you ever get the chance to see it.

1 Like

Hi @Ebor , I would like to echo @Christopher_M 's post above, that there is really no out and out best live offering from The Stones imho. Recently they have released some excellent material as part of their " From the Vaults " series, however whilst the music is often excellent the mastering leaves a lot to be desired, and they become a harsh listen. One album I can recommend, is Stripped, if you can find it in the original single disc edition on the Virgin label. This is a mixture of live songs recorded in a small club environment and live in the studio cuts. It sports an excellent song selection, plus Charlie features very well in the mix. Hope this helps.

3 Likes

‘Brussels Affair’ and ‘Leeds Lungs Out’ are classics. The much more recent ‘Bridges to Buenos Aires’ (Qobuz) is a good late set imho.

G

1 Like
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.