RIP Daft Punk

5 Likes

:cry:

Sad day …

Very sad to hear this. Random Access Memories is my favourite album so far this century. Maybe they realised they could never top it.

3 Likes

Yes, I’m inclined to think they’d nowhere else to go artistically.

2 Likes

Too bad …

I’m sorry, how sad … This year many have gone …

The duo have just split , they’ll probably still continue to work as producers or perhaps solo work.

1 Like

They haven’t died Andrea, they’ve just decided to go their separate ways.

1 Like

How do they decide who’s daft and who’s punk. ?

2 Likes

All about Homework for me.

Thomas, Guy-Man, and Michel Gondry’s finest hour…

I like the bit where it says ‘around the world’.

5 Likes

Rubbish news

Far better to quit leaving your fans wanting more, than slumber on for the sake of it and putting out material of decreasing quality.

1 Like

Perhaps there could be a follow up STARDUST album that never was back then, now that daft has more time on his hands.

2 Likes

^ Tune!

Such a great time for that French touch / filter house sound and its close relations, with loads of artists helping out on each others’ records… Daft Punk, Etienne de Crecy, Alan Braxe, Air, Philippe Zdar, Phoenix, labels such as Ed Banger, Kitsuné… c’était trop cool.

I’ve had Discovery on today for the first time in forever ago… just how I remember it - great and also horrendous. Girls were always mad for it, as I recall, but that’s another story… : )

2 Likes

‘Human After All’ proved they really were as that wasn’t them at their best but then I read somewhere that they’d fallen out with their record label or something so it was just a rush job to finish the contract.

1 Like

:cry:
Tonight…

3 Likes

You mean after the one album where they did electronica without the electronica (i.e. studio sessions with musical instruments played by humans in the style of electronica) :smiley:

Seriously though. It is hard to top. How cool are the sonic fireworks of the drum solo on “Contact”? I always use that track to give a system a dynamic range workout.

1 Like

Omar Hakim is just one of the all time great drummers

3 Likes

Fair points all. I’m not especially a fan of music held up to be well-recorded but if you want an example there’s few better than Random Access Memories.

Plus Michel Gondry for video. Exceptional collaborations.

2 Likes