RIP Nanci Griffith

So sorry to hear of Nanci Griffith’s passing. She had a wonderful way of expressing words in song and this will live on for others to enjoy long after we are gone. RIP.

Peter

1 Like

Yes - it was Andy Kershaw that really championed new country - and sent me very much down that lane. I used to bump into him in Virgin Records in Leeds from time to time, he always had an armful of purchases!

2 Likes

@MattCray Funny what a small world music can make. I grew up in west Texas, went to school at Texas Tech University in Lubbock. I lived across the alley from the high school Joe Ely graduated from. In the mid-seventies he played all the local dives, Fat Dawgs, Main Street Saloon, the Cotton Club. Fat Dawgs was no larger than a small house, with 75 cent pitchers of beer. In those days Bobby Keys and Lloyd Maines were part of the band.

My freshman year I lived in a dorm. On Sunday nights the cafeteria was closed, so we were left to our own devices for dinner. We frequently went to a little barbecue joint called Stubbs. Joe, Tom T Hall and lots of other Texas musicians would frequent it because Mr. Stubb would feed them if they played. Great times.

I bartended at a restaurant/bar on Friday and Saturday nights. My roommate was the other bartender. One Saturday night he convinced me to go to this little after hours dive where he could play cards. Begged me to come, said I’d never forgive myself if I didn’t. Stevie Ray Vaughn and DT showed up and played until dawn.

In 2016 Joe was named the official Texas State Musician. Stubb’s is now a national brand of BBQ sauces and seasonings. Small world.

Very sad news. I’ve been enjoying her music since discovering her album Storms over 25 years ago.

Sad news indeed. Just read it in today’s newspaper.
Loved the little stories she could tell in a few verses like “Love at the five and dime”.
She’ll be missed for sure.

1 Like

Nanci Griffith has been one of my favourite female artists for many years, I have all her CDs and I was lucky enough to see her perform several years ago in a concert at Finsbury Park, London, along with the headline act, Bob Dylan, plus the Waterboys etc - needless to say, she was great.
Along with so many fabulous talents, she has passed away far too soon.
RIP Nanci and thank you for the music.

3 Likes

Just streaming ‘Last of the true believers’ album from Tidal right now. What a talent!

1 Like

“Last…” is a fantastic album.

I’ve been listening to her first album over the past few days. A basic two track recording with loads of emotion.

4 Likes

Especially the title track

1 Like

I’ve no idea what possessed me but I decided to go listen to Storms and Little Love Affairs. I have been starkly reminded of just how awful they were.

Thanks for that!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.