RIP Ranking Roger

Terrible news just breaking that Ranking Roger, of ska band, The Beat, has passed away at the age of 56.

He had suffered a stroke, following diagnoses of both cancer and brain tumours, and died at home, surrounded by family and friends.

Gone far too early, RIP , Roger.

Oh no, that is terrible news. I loved both the Beat and Ranking Roger.

1 Like

Very sad news, RIP Ranking Roger.

2 Likes

Very sad. Younger than me!

1 Like

One of my favourite bands from my youth and recently a couple of newer albums with some great tracks harking back to the old days… sad indeed and thank s for the music.

1 Like

Very sad to hear this. Coincidentally I have recently been cleaning up my old Beat (The English Beat on my old US LPs) and General Public LPs and giving them some play. I hadn’t played them in years and had forgotten how great they were. RIP, Roger.

1 Like

RIP Ranking Roger. Lots of memories from my yoof! Thank you for them.

1 Like

I saw The Beat a couple of times in Bristol in Eighties - cracking live band, fighting racism with infectious fun.

So sad, and I’m sure it makes a lot of us here feel very old.

1 Like

Just caught this news, very sad indeed. The Beat always put a big smile on my face. RIP RR and thanks for all the music.

I can only echo this. The Beat made several genuinely terriffc albums and I’ve fond memories of seeing them live at their absolute peak.

RIP, Roger, and thanks for all the great memories. :cry:

In fact, the memories, very personal to me, are of going to a nightclub in the East end of London in the very early 80’s, and dancing all night to this fab ska music.

It wasn’t until I saw The Beat for the first time on Top of the Pops that I realised that they’ had been playing the album from start to finish at the club.

Can anyone help out, by the way, with the name of that place?

Wasn’t The Bridge House in Canning Town; but was off Silvertown Way,further up the road.

Oh no! Rest in peace, Ranking Roger.

Very sad news and far too young. The Beat were part of the Ska and 2 Tone movement that meant a lot to me in my formative years. After a long hiatus, I started listening to music seriously and going to concerts again a few years ago.
I saw The Beat together with The Selecter at a small venue live last year and enjoyed the concert enormously. Roger was his old self and full of infectious energy on stage. After the gig, I managed to speak to Roger and Pauline Black and buy them a drink.
I am going to The Specials concert in Cologne this evening and hope that they remember him.
RIP Roger.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.