RIP Sir Clive Sinclair

No-one has yet mentioned the Mk14 computer, precursor to the ZX80: Machine code programming using hexadecimal keypad, and calculator-style LED 7-segment display hexadecimal output…

1 Like

So sad hes one of my heroes really. I remember my dad bringing home a zx81 and being so excited as was I. It led on to the Spectrum which I just loved messing about with and led to my interest in tech going forward.

1 Like

And the number of compact cassettes required for the back up.

4 Likes

Kids today just won’t understand.

2 Likes

Amazed, on this forum, that no-one’s mentioned the Naim influence. JV: "So I bought a better tape recorder and microphones, designed and built a mixing desk, and upgraded the amplifier and speakers. The key bit came when I got the ‘better amplifier’. The Quad 303, which the advert called ‘the closest approach to the original sound’, had just come out. ‘Great’, I thought, as I took it home, only to discover that it sounded staggeringly worse than what I was already using. At the time that was a Sinclair kit amp, for which I’d built a large power supply. I’d got hold of a very substantial transformer, spent some time thinking about the capacitors, found some mammoth car alternator diodes, and put them all into a large box. The Sinclair modules went pop quite often, but it still sounded much better than the Quad.

" ‘That’s very interesting’, I thought, ‘so amplifiers are not all the same. And not only are they not the same, but it’s unbelievably easy to screw the whole thing up. If Quad can advertise that as the ‘closest approach to the original sound’, there must be a little gap somewhere in there for me. . . . .’

4 Likes

The Z12 was my first transistor amplifier (I had used various valve radios as amplifiers before, doubling them up to make a stereo amp - early monoblocs I suppose). I’m somewhat ashamed to admit that I was given a barely-populated circuit board of their pre-amplifier (Stereo 25) at the time by a friend who worked in their factory. At the time they offered a repair/build service for 10/- for their pre-amps and amps. I sent the board (I think it had about half a dozen, maybe a few more components on it, but no chassis and no pots), and they sent me a brand new fully-completed preamp. So that and two Z12s (IIRC) formed my first proper stereo HiFi. It worked perfectly well, and fed a pair of Wharfedale Denton speakers (in walnut finish).
I also bought a Sinclair Cambridge calculator, which I thought was the bee’s knees. It was so much more compact than anything else at the time.
He was very innovative, and in so many areas - amplifiers, portable miniature television, wrist radio, wrist watch, some sort of telephone with micro-cassette recorder (possibly I’m thinking of the One Per Desk, which he was involved with, but I’m pretty sure there was a purely Sinclair executive desk thing). He was a very clever chap - but I think his business acumen wasn’t quite there, which meant that he could not supply enough of his products to satisfy demand. He was at the forefront of calculators and home computers for quite a while.

One of my neighbours at college had a ZX81 in his room. Certain channels of my B&W portable TV had pictures which filled up with scrolling alphanumeric overlay whenever he was programming. So much for EMC compatibility - radiated emissions must have been horrific !

I’d forgotten that tale! I also seem to remember that Julian had built the Sinclair amp after the advice of someone who later said “I was half joking, I never expected him to put it into production” - can anyone else recall this?

It’s amusing to me that as a forum we view 1980s computers as museum pieces and how greatly the technology has improved but covet 1980s amplifiers as the pinnacle of excellence :grin:

I loved how programmers managed to make something of the original wiggly lines loading screen overtime. I think Manic Miner or Jet Set Willy were the first from my memory.

Ah you youngsters……all we ‘ad in my day were ICL machines and PDP11s………

Back on track though, I had a recollection that the chap in the next room (another Chris, and on the same Comp.Sci. course) bought himself one of the Sinclair Scientifics (the white one).

edit: I thought he’d bought it during our “first year” (72-73), but according to Wikipedia the white “Scientific” didn’t come out until ‘74………

…it was a long time ago and as they say “if you can remember it, man, then you weren’t really there!”

3 Likes

Another one here that owes his career choice and direction to Sir Clive. First a ZX80, then a ZX81, then 16K RAM pack and then a BBC Micro Model A. All of these I bought with the proceeds of summer jobs in my Dad’s painting and decorating business. I first played with assembler (6502) on the BBC micro. At Uni my project was based on an LSI 11 assembler (a desktop PDP-11). First job with Honeywell working in their DPS-6 OS & Network support team.zx80

1 Like

RIP.

I started with a ZX81 when I was 11, then the rubber key Spectrum 16k, upgraded it to 48k, then purchased the 128k which I still have today (now with a SD card drive). Those were great times with lots of fun. Thanks Clive!

BR,
Richard

2 Likes

Smoking Beeb? That’s expected behaviour! The Rifa capacitors that blow are there for noise reduction so despite the excitement it’s unlikely your machine will have been damaged. People will fix the power supply for you or if you are competent there are kits.

1 Like

Yes, I searched last year and saw it was not uncomon. May get around to fixing one day, just too many more pressing things currently.

1 Like

that wasnt his first direction he produced a book quality transistor amplifiers uo to 600 ? mW using oc 71 etc , early 60s my first go at building amps , i have the copy still, somewhere in loft boxes

I used to system manage a PDP 11-44 back in the day, as an addendum to the day job. It had a Racal Planet LAN, an early token passing ring. Worked great - until the rats in the ducting between buildings gnawed through the cable !

Always enjoyed those DECUS mag tapes cram packed with compilers and games !

There was some great software on them… many a happy lunch time spent playing ‘Hunt the Wumpus’

I used to manage a PDP11/24 - RSX11M and then progressed to VAX - VMS

1 Like

The ones I remember are Adventure and Zork. ‘Welcome to Collosal Cave’.

RSX11M for me too - also made the move to Vax VMS.

2 Likes

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

4 Likes