RIP Terry Hall

Terry Hall has passed away, age 63, following a brief illness.

A tribute…

Fun Boy Three
Our Lips Are Sealed.

As a teenager, became obsessed with this wonderfully written song, which probably speaks to all teenagers.

Co-written by Jane Wiedlen, guitarist with The Go-Go’s and Terry Hall. (Apparently, they had a brief affair). The Go-Go’s also did a version, (1981), which was typically upbeat. However, Terry’s version, (1983) - somber and melancholy - seems to hit the mark for “moody teenage angst”.

If I was ever forced to pick a top 10 ( just 10 is impossible) I think this one would make it into that 10, just on the strength of the lyrics alone.

RIP Terry Hall

9 Likes

Very sad news. Ghost Town is one of my favourites.

2 Likes

This is sad news……

Great as the Danmers era was for at least two albums I must admit to a soft spot for Protest Songs. In many senses it’s an album which sounds the least like them and, given the American origin of many of the covers perhaps even less likely as a statement, and yet it has, for me, more of the life and joy of the original Two Tone than anything they’d done since reforming.

1 Like

Greatest front man ever, played a massive part of my teenage years :cry:

RIP Terry Hall. Terribly sad news indeed.

TELEMMGLPICT000320213395_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqQIQJYgcTUH5m11LvR9aNoKiwxPYbVO9MFfzFM8fUD3k

not a good day - RIP Terry

A nice piece by Alexis Petridis:

Terry Hall

63 is far too young. Sadly I never got to see The Specials either in their heyday or later. I had tickets for a concert in Newport but something happened and I didn’t end up going. A shame.

3 Likes

That was a good article :+1:

Growing up in the West Midlands in the 70s and 80s (with all that entailed in unemployment and heroin problems in the area), the Specials and the voice of Terry Hall told our story in some ways.

Saddened.

(Spot the lyric reused by Massive Attack)

1 Like

Some lovely tributes being paid on social media and thought Alison Goldfrapp summed it up beautifully on Instagram (cool photo too)…

4 Likes

Well said Alison.
Way too young, RIP Terry :pray:

1 Like

Very clever guy. I’ve put a little tribute in the lyrics thread.

Such a sad loss. Ghost Town is one of the greatest singles of all time​. Also a big Manchester United fan.

Another decent read about the sometimes difficult life of Terry Hall.

1 Like

Terribly sad news. Ghost Town was one of those songs which just fitted so many different places back in the day. At the time it seemed a perfect fit for Belfast when I was in my teens and different factions were determined to blow the heart out of the city. Most night venues were to be found well outside the city, which sat cowering with its useless steel defence line around it, waiting for the next bomb to go off. Terry Hall, The Specials and that particular song resonated profoundly with me and many like me in Belfast and I’m sure across the UK and beyond. RIP Terry Hall.

Peter

Terrible news The Specials will be playing in the soundtrack of my life.

'A message to you Terry, a message to you Terry, stop your messing around…

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

I bought the ‘Ghost Town’ single as a kid - what an extraordinary track.

Another favourite of mine was ‘Tunnel of Love’ by the Fun Boy Three. Superb live performance on The Tube here:

1 Like