Ripping hi-res Blu Ray

Will the Core rip a Blu Ray albumn described as:

“Blu-ray with the album in both 5.1 surround sound (lossless 24/96 DTS-HD + lossless 24/96 LPCM) and high-res stereo (24/96 LPCM), offering audiophiles a listening experience second to none. “

Or can you only play these on a Blu Ray player?

You need additional processing to extract the FLAC tracks from a Blu-Ray disc.
Firsty you need to copy the image files off the physical disc with a Blu-ray reader
Secondly you need to extract FLAC from these using eac3to along with the index details. This generates one FLAC file containing all tracks on the disc.
Finally you need to extract the individual tracks, using the library information for each ‘chapter’ and apply track numbers, track title and the rest of the metadata.
Bit of a process, but good to do to obtain the 2-channel LPCM content.
Simon

1 Like

All due respect Simon, but having been through this process once or twice, I would only go down this route if the album was unique and not otherwise available in satisfactory quality. The time investment is enormous and the results difficult to achieve.
Just my point of view…

I use a software package called dvdfab for this, I tend to use the HiFi WAV setting and select the stereo PCM track. I also set it to split on chapter as this gives you individual tracks. You may need to tag the tracks after ripping.

The only downside is the cost, but if you like to tinker like me it’s great software!

1 Like

I rip Blue-Ray using Make MKV which packs all the data you select as-is with no transcoding.

To playback, I just use a NAS loaded with Plex and access the streams via my Blue Ray player over UPnP. The result is identical to playing the disc. Better in fact because there is no transport mech noise.

For anything 2 channel derived from CD or download I use Asset but if I had a Core, I’d use that.

1 Like

I didn’t say it was easy & yes the eac3to extract can take hours to process and that leaves you with a single big FLAC track to deal with.
However there have a number of PureAudio BR discs released ahead of any other HiRes releases.

1 Like

DVDFab passkey or similar, which will unlock the BD on the fly. DVD Audio Extractor or similar to rip the files (it reads BDs as well). dBpoweramp or similar to tag them. Place files in a network location and point server at them. It is not difficult.

I have also extracted HiDef audio tracks from movie DVDs and BDs. Can’t remember the software. Results weren’t too brilliant (but good enough for the car).

I believe the OP referred to the first scenario? It’s not difficult. A forum like Computer Audiophile has a number of guides and just a straight Google will do it, because it’s a simple and ubiquitous process which becomes pretty much automatic once you’ve done it 3 times. And you can’t break anything.

Old Prog Rockers like me who wait with baited breath for Steven Wilson’s latest Yes, Tull, XTC, Caravan, Hawkwind, etc., remix have got this ripping process down off pat.

1 Like

Um, yes prog man here to. A few options to consider. I have a Steven Wilson Blu Ray (Drive Home) with some hi definition tracks I can try something on. What do you use to rip? I have an Cambridge Audio CXUHD and a Mac computer.

I’m looking at buying Anathema’s The Optimist, which is available on regular CD and hi-res Blu Ray, hence my question.

Mike. I Use DVDFab passkey to unlock the BD so that it can be watched on PC or ripped. For the ripping I use DVD Audio Extractor, which also rips BDs. For stripping out tags, adding mine, and associating with cover art, I use dBpoweramp.

I use these on PC. There are Mac versions available whose functionality, I would guess, is similar. These are the applications I have settled on and learned how to use by second nature. My favourite flavour is 24bit PCM WAV. So long as you have the highest playable resolution ripped, the file types are inter-convertible (dBpoweramp).

I use Asset and Minimserver, (each on their own NAS), serving ND555. If I had a stand alone network connected player, like my old HDX, I would put them in a network share. If not using a network I would plug them in on a USB stick.

There are plenty of alternative applications. I personally rate DVD Audio Extractor and dBpoweramp very highly, but it’s a personal thing. DVDFab is fine, if bloated - you can’t just buy Passkey on its own AFAIK. I think you can get them all as trials.

If you hit any bumps, this forum or somewhere like Computer Audiophile are your friends. If stuck, you won’t be for long.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.