Roger Waters re recording DSOTM

Article in the DT yesterday and a few references on Facebook. He is playing with fire musically imho but it might end up being good. We will see. Anyone know any more?

He did come across in the piece as being pretty obnoxious tbh.

1 Like

Yes, I read this too, I’ll take a listen but can’t think i would support him by buying it, the guys become too arrogant and disrespectful to his former band mates for my liking!

11 Likes

RW seems to live in his own world, where only he knows what is right.

“Pretty obnoxious”, “too arrogant”, “disrespectful” - seems about right to me. I would add ‘entitled’.

Why on earth re-record DSOTM…? Why…? Says it all, really.

“The lunatic is in my head
The lunatic is in my head
You raise the blade, you make the change
You rearrange me 'til I’m sane
You lock the door and throw away the key
And there’s someone in my head, but it’s not me…”

[Brain Damage, from DSOTM - Lyrics RW]

13 Likes

Dark Side Of The Loon ?

14 Likes

Beyond belief… :man_shrugging:t4:

7 Likes

I’ll be listening with an open mind and will be interested to hear what he brings to it. His Lockdown Sessions, in which he re-recorded some tracks from the Wall and Final Cut, were quite refreshing IMO.

5 Likes

Yes Clive, I thought them quite good too. Especially Mother. The video of it on YouTube is quite playful from Mr Grumpy…

1 Like

Is there a popcorn box big enough for this? :open_mouth:

3 Likes

So long as politics (and I’m not talking about the band here) is kept out of the discussion, otherwise the thread won’t last long.

1 Like

As I intimated in another thread this morning, I guess RW recording of DSOTM would be a reinterpretation, and might be interesting, but the original was so good that I have no expectation other than that it might be interesting, but would be very surprised if I were to like it more.

5 Likes

He has already recorded it. One journo has listened to it and found it good in parts, not so much in others.

2 Likes

IMO, Roger Waters started to loose it, at least by the time of recording The Wall, particularly when he effectively fired Rick Wright. The lack of any understanding or empathy to Rick’s situation, at that time, is beyond belief.

All downhill from there.

YMMV, as always…

10 Likes

On about the same level as John Cleese resurrecting Fawlty Towers.

Can’t bring myself to play any PF at the moment due to RW behaviour.

6 Likes

Not judging guys, but I think this is the direction @Richard.Dane was suggesting he didn’t want the conversation to go in… :man_shrugging:t4:

3 Likes

Perhaps any RW thread will inevitably draw on his politics but I had hoped for some musical insights too, especially as DSOTM is as much about the soundscapes as it is about songs. I can’t see the whole thing being done in the style of his Lockdown Sessions.

I can well believe that RW was the prime author of DSOTM. Both it and The Wall are superb and I am glad that RW was able to channel his internal angst to produce two great albums that speak to me …but, somehow he has never seemed to be able to heal, despite his success and what I would hope would have been some great experiences. He seems to nurse his negativity.

Why on earth are the UN giving him a platform?

1 Like

It’s often said that we get more right wing as we get older…

As for the UN giving him a platform, who’s next? Igglepiggle and Upsy Daisy?

3 Likes

A very balanced view MrU, it must be something about SBL owners… My personal favourite is Animals with DSOTM rather down my list. I do agree that healing is conspicuous by its absence in all his work. The recent live shows with all the billboards and messaging seems to confirm it.

5 Likes

:wink:

Have you noticed the Australian Pink Floyd? Apparently Gilmour and Mason sold the stage props and visuals to them. One live album on Qobuz.

"Roger Waters re recording DSOTM? "

Really? Oh dear!

4 Likes