Roksan to Linn via VPI & MoFi decks

Against as in it’s not necessary or it’s detrimental to the SQ?

I presume changing the cartridge on a Linn arm is the same as on any other arm, so I could do this myself at home, if I end up bringing the LP12 back home.

@anon4489532 makes a good call for the Vertere DG.

1 Like

Neither of these.
Sub-optimal - Linn Lore considers it better to have a lesser cart in a higher arm, rather than a higher cart in a lesser arm.

I would caution against changing carts yourself on an LP12. Potential to damage bearings. To do it properly, the arm needs to be removed.

3 Likes

The Cadenza will likely over excite the Basic arm but I’d take a guess that your existing Nima would provide it with a good home. The Nima took over the title of the poor man’s Aro from the Moerch UP-4 when it came out, though maybe largely because of its easier availability.

2 Likes

So long as you know what you are doing it’s fine, but if it were me I’d take your deck to the dealer and ask them to fit the Ortofon. Without sounding blunt, I wouldn’t touch a Basik, which was pretty rubbish. The Ittok is where the decent arms start. The original Trampolin was pretty rubbish too and made the sound distinctly worse to my ears. I’m not sure I’d jump at the first Linn that comes available just because it is at your dealers. It’s really best to look around and find a setup that suits, without an initial bodge followed by upgrades. That’s one of the nice things about a Rega, you just buy it and enjoy it, as you would with the DG1 for example. I’ve had a Linn in the past of course, so have got it out of my system, so to speak.

Some here compared the new entry level Lp12 , the Magik, with Rega Rp8.
I remember some found the Rp8 better.
So an entry level Linn , maybe 30 years old, will need some service, maintenance, new power supply, better arm…to be on a good sounding level.
Not sure that bargain is really a bargain. And certainly not for the future, as it will be an endless wish for upgrading.

1 Like

I’ve always noted that Nima is an anagram for something close to here, but never checked whether it a common assumption it is no coincidence. I believe it is a Persian name which fits with the early Roksan naming approach.

2 Likes

Yes, isn’t the lead designer of Iranian/Persian descent?

Yes, I’m afraid I’m on the other side of that, as I’m yet to get it into my system.

The general consensus here does seem to point towards being very cautious.

As this pm appointment looms I have a sense of impeding dread and the inevitable doom descending!
Well, not quite, but the sensible advice does seem to be:
a) there are better and less hassle alternatives out there.
b) a Nima arm (which I have already) is the minimum requirement if I did go Linn
c) it’s a potentially endless and expensive slide into tweak and upgrade territory

Um, I’m worried for you. You do know our hobby is supposed to be a pleasure!

Please travel hopefully. Enjoy your dem.

2 Likes

I see some second hand Lp12 on the net. You can find an Lp12/ Itok/ lingo for 2k . Personally, if I were for an Lp12, I would more go for that.

1 Like

You are right, Chris. Sometimes I think it’s best not to ask on the Forum in the first place and to just go with your heart. Had I asked in regard to the various changes I’ve made over the last 15 months or so I’m sure I’d have been met with more negatives than positives. Maybe people ask when they are doubtful. Different views can be useful, but can also lead to extreme confusion.

3 Likes

For me the key thing in the dem, apart from the sound, would be how the dealer responds to questions about the issues thrown up in this thread. It’s almost as if the thing being bought is not a record player, it’s the relationship with the dealer.

1 Like

Touraj who was the chief designer and founder, now at Vertere, is definitely of Persian descent, as was his co-founder Tufan Hashemi who is still at Roksan I think.

@Charles64 Cymbiosis can demonstrate the Vertere DG.

1 Like

as well as (very probably) a superior used LP12 build at the price AND the Rega alternatives too.

2 Likes

@Charles64 Any joy?

1 Like

Hi Chris,

Well yes, there’s an LP12 in my living room now. The dealer fitted my Cadenza to an Akito arm not the Basik, that’s as far as my budget would go today!

He demoed it for me there, all rather good.

It certainly all looks lovely in situ here, and very shortly I will get the chance to actually listen for a few hours tonight.

5 Likes

Enjoy. Mine is currently spinning David Sylvian’s Gone to Earth to very good effect.

1 Like