Room is Hell

Are they guilty of that sort of thing? Have you heard them? I ask as I have also been quite intrigued with the design, I quite like something a little different.

What have I done and what do I need to do for penance?

My guess is youā€™ve run too close to the rule against advertising

I merely suggested an alternative speaker brand as have many others, that canā€™t possibly be the reason, surely?

Did you originally include a link?

The Ohm Walsh looks to be an ā€˜omniā€™ design - if Iā€™ve found the right speakers - so, by design, they rely on reflected sound from the room far more than ā€˜conventionalā€™ designs. My thinking is that puts a much greater requirement on good acoustics of the room. They might be unfussy where you put them, but that could translate to ā€˜sounds bad everywhereā€™.

But no, Iā€™ve never heard them, and without a better understanding of ā€˜hellā€™, I could easily be talking complete rot!

Haha that would be a nice bit of work on the part of a marketing department.

Marketing: How is the new speaker design coming along?
Engineering: Not great sorry. Doesnā€™t matter where we put them, they sound terrible.
Marketing: Thatā€™s ok. Weā€™ll pitch them as location-agnostic. Great!

2 Likes

Hmm. Perhaps I should edit that to say ā€˜sounds bad everywhere in a bad roomā€™ā€¦

Designs like the Shahinian range have always fascinated me; but Iā€™ve never been convinced by the reasoning. The argument seems to be that sound arrives from all directions in a concert hall, so it should arrive from all directions in your living room. The trouble with that line of reasoning is that the recording engineer has gone to great lengths to capture the sound of the event in the space, so adding the sound of your room is messing with that idea. And for studio multitrack, all bets are off. Iā€™m not sure I want the musicians playing in my living room anyway. I think Iā€™d prefer to have the illusion of being in the event space, be it concert hall or mastering suite.

Guru QM10ā€™s are incredibly forgiving of room placement and designed for close to wall placement, they appreciate toe in and can make a great soundstage with height and scale from the short wall, which is how I use them. Time brilliantly.

This is the space under discussion. Behind the camera is an open plan stairwell

In a previous home we bought a pair of couches and installed one in between the speakers. Within a week I listed that one in Craigslist and got it out of the house. The impact on sound is massive.

2 Likes

Is the wall to the right and out of frame the same as the left wall? Is that the third wall of window? Whatā€™s the wall behind the stairwell?

Wall to the right of frame is a flat wall with a step in it nd the wall behind the stairwell is all window like the other sides so itā€™s basically sheets of glass on three sides and a stepped wall on the fourthā€¦ cheers

It appears your lounge, like ours, doubles as a laundry. But fear not - this presents an audiophile opportunity!

If you suspend your washing from coat hangers across the windows, this will both dull the impact of the hard glass on sound and dry the laundry.

Most common when a post has been edited, I assume to stop you reverting it. Did you perhaps provide a link to another manufacturerā€™s site, or the selling site? That would be against forum rules.

Yes I did do that, our esteemed administrator kindly explained it to me. In my defense I am quite stupid!

2 Likes

How about the (sic) Shanagens

Lol

Thanks for the picture, letā€™s get cracking. As a start, Iā€™d suggest moving the speakers forward from the wall, aiming to have them at least 2m apart, and the same distance from each speaker to the listening chair, in an equilateral triangle. That will help with the nasty reflections in the left corner.

Move the glass table away from between the speakers and the chair when listening.

Are your speakers rear-ported? You could try some cheap foam acoustic egg shells behind them, and in the rear corners. These are about $18 each from Para Rubber, so a low cost DIY trial to see if they help.

Thatā€™s a few free/cheap ideas to see if they help.