Room temperature

Naim power amps shut down automatically when the internal temperature hits 70°C so even at high room temperatures it needs to be working fairly hard to overheat.
Obviously it helps to have plenty of space around each box, including digital sources, as their circuits often run hot, even in standby.
Badly matched speaker cables won’t help either.

All on a fraim…(except the TPPS) and as a stickler for the regs Naim Speaker cable…

Thanks for the advice

How often does the fan on your 300 start up? That should give you an idea of when the system is starting to work hard.

It’s 28C here now while I’m having my morning coffee. 24-hour range for much of the year is 25 - 33C. My system stays on most of the time.

The NAC 272 runs only slightly warm in use / on standby while the NAP 250 barely seems to heat up at normal listening volumes.

Pretty sure that thermal shutdown is more of a risk for me than my Naim system!

1 Like

It’s a remarkably warm autumn day here temperature is 26c and my 272/250 combo is showing no signs of heat exhaustion.

2 Likes

Idling at 35c is not an issue. Sitting with the volume cranked at 35c is another matter. It would regularly be 40c during the day in my sun trap Tokyo flat for weeks on end. Nothing ever broke. But when I got home I used aircon to get it down to 24c before listening. For my comfort. Not the hifi’s.

Computers are another matter. I had no end of issues with suspected heat damage. They don’t like ambients over 25c with pushed workloads.

Maybe put up an audiophile parasol :open_umbrella: in the garage? :joy:

2 Likes

Don’t give Naim ideas it may end up an add on to the Fraim.

1 Like

That plus an audiophile Fraim trolley and a 10m full-flat PowerLine, and one can enjoy their Naim in the garden… :rofl:

Hearing rumours the Naim SHAID (Shadow Augmenting Interoperable Device) is currently in late-stage development.

1 Like

A simple fan is better for the environment, the climate in the room - therefore the people -and probably the amps too since their case is designed as a heat sink.

I vaguely remember JV writing about putting amps on their side and adding a fan.

Yes. A fan is a great idea.

Buy one of these, power it from the USB sockt on the NDX2, job sorted.

1 Like

Most of my boxes are in a heavily modified long record cabinet. Not an ideal environment but it pleases my other half. Serious consideration is being given to a pair of Fraims but that’s for another day.
My 500 power amp has a 25mm gap above its top. I raised this situation with Jason regarding enough ventilation. As Naim products are designed to work in much warmer climates than the UK he saw no problems with this set up. On a very hot day, and how many do we really get, the fan will briefly come on. Heavy rock music for an extended time makes things happen.
In a lifetime of 250, 135s and 500 I have never had them shut down. I play orchestral classical music often quite loud.
In three words: not to worry.

2 Likes

Most items last longer if kept cool. It’s not good practice to rely on a devices own protection to kick in. That is there very much as a last resort before something bad is due to happen.
My MF power amp runs warm in the winter and can certainly get hot in a UK summer. I use a cheap USB powered fan to reduce the case temperature. Powered via battery.
The idea is to prolong the life of the components inside, especially the capacitors. A device that does last longer if kept cool.

Yes, but the buillt-in protection makes it easier to just try without risking damage. If the unit does not get burning hot and the protection never kicks in, the room temp might not be a very big problem. Anyways, best to just ask Naim support

There are some VERY effective glass treatment films that reflect up to 92% of the sun’s rays
They are not that expensive either…and of course have zero running costs and zero pollution to your mains electricity

I would contact a commercial window treatment company and get a quote

1 Like

Even better get a 555dr power supply to run it lol

That is patented by @Bobthebuilder if my memory serves me well. :grinning:

2 Likes

Get two cd555 power supplies. Cone on, you know it works here!

1 Like

Yes of course, how silly of me lol