Room treatment permission

I have just been given the nod from her indoors to allow me to do some room treatment!!! yehar!!! …mega bass traps here we come…I have a 60hz hump in my room which I am going to try and minimise…will be having some serious conversations with GIK…

4 Likes

Not sure you can fix this low a frequency with room treatments. Have you tried moving your speakers?

I have a mode at 50hz, speakers were shuffled about on kitchen chopping boards and then using Roon DSP to solve what couldn’t be sorted by speaker position.

The acoustic teacher from Switzerland will certainly enjoy to respond here.
@Thomas is asked 🥸

1 Like

Great news. I have a similar problem at around 60Hz in my room, particularly at my listening position. Pulling the speakers forwards made a big improvement and I am slowly sneaking the sofa forwards by a few inches which also seems to help. Amazing the difference a few inches in terms of listening position can make.
Earlier this year I purchased two tritraps for the front corners and two 600x600 monster traps behind the listening position. I couldn’t really treat the rear corners due to room layout. I would say that it hasn’t resolved the 60Hz problem, it is maybe slightly better. However bass and percussion in general is better and the whole frequency range and sound staging is better.
I think I would need at least all four corners treating, maybe floor to ceiling and maybe some monster bass traps on the ceiling to improve the bass response further. There are however others who can offer better advice, having installed much more room treatment than myself.
I didn’t use any room analysis, but being a guitarist I worked out which notes and frequencies were problematic. Not the most scientific approach.

As you observe, it seems strange but I also found moving towards my speakers better in terms of bass resolution and general clarity. I’m currently moving stuff around, as a kindly gent has loaned me some absorbers - and it seems there is much trial and error in this game. Having a room with plentiful exterior glass surfaces isn’t helping e.g. could acoustic curtains help(?) to supplement existing blinds, but they could create material condensation which I’m very keen to avoid.

As others have observed, bass contributes to so much of the soundscape that if it’s very sub-optimal in the mix, the whole soundscape can go awry.

Indeed :+1:t3: ATB Peter

Very exciting Rich and let the journey begin :nerd_face:
Any chance of a plan drawing of your room including speaker positioning and where the golden ears are placed? ATB Peter

I considered acoustic curtains, but was concerned that they may over absorb the upper frequencies with no effect on bass leaving a dull, bass heavy sound. I am considering some acoustically transparent curtains with some narrow 244 or 242 panels on the wall behind them behind my listening position.

Have you considered acoustic blinds that you can have fully down or intermediate position…but you still can adjust the slats to be fully closed or open or anywhere in between. Hopefully giving some fine adjustment?

Thanks Gazza, I did look into acoustic blinds, but again was worried they might over absorb the upper frequencies. The window is just over a metre behind my listening position so I place the monster traps on the window ledge for serious listening. Bass response is increased significantly the closer to the window (back wall) my ears are. The monster traps are broad band so help balance the full frequency spectrum. I don’t think I would have room on the window ledge for the bass traps if I installed acoustic blinds.

1 Like

Its just something ticking away that i have considered but not pulled the trigger on.

1 Like

Maybe they would work well for windows at the side walls for first or second reflection points to help with upper frequency flutter echo etc

2 Likes

I use Monster bass panels on my rear wall at the side of the window and also on the window sill itself. But i went for the range limited option that gives increased bass treatment while not overtreating the upper ranges.

2 Likes

Did you also move your listening position?

Assessment ongoing, with some large Ikea Kallax units to be moved, to see what happens - when some of the mag reviews say the speakers need to be honed by 'x’mm, they may be correct!

But, yes, it seems getting closer to my speakers helps the bass - perhaps removing/avoiding reflections. I’m teasing with a plasterboard lined backing wall at the moment.

My room is ~6.5M square (with a cut out for a hall-way).

This was created by knocking another room in to it, with a full-width and tall/prominent beam housing resulting (the surveyor over-spec’ed!). This together with lots of glass (double doors and large window) means that one side of the beam is ‘deader’ sound-wise that t’other - the (larger) segment with the glass is ‘brighter’. I’ve had various dealers and speakers in my room and, with hindsight, it’s now clear that lining speakers up in the bright side alone (which creates very uneven dimensions to surrounding walls) isn’t the way to go. There was some very nasty bass feedback going on and the deader side was sucking on the sound.

Will report more once I’ve got things as optimally as possible - with some room treatment likely albeit with all the glass, I’m not alive to putting stuff in front of this, as I’m south-facing and will get weird shadows.

Just concluding mine from this weekend

4 Likes

Why not Dirac Live room correction and you don’t have to rebuild the house?

Now where is the OP, measuring up…? :thinking::rofl:

While electronic room correction can certainly help with some things, it cannot fix everything - e.g it can’t stop reflections, nor room cancellations (and attempting to do the latter, or even just deep dips, can be a rapid path to speaker destruction!).

This is a sure recipe for immediate murder by the landlady :laughing: