Room treatment permission

This is the route I was going to take…

Currently I use Roon … I use a notch filer at 60hz which works well…but I want to not use eq … so I thought if I treated the room and change the speakers to infinite baffle … Kans … or the like … one the speaker would have less output at 60hz … and B the room would be better…

If you have done all you can with speaker positioning then it’s either stick with Room DSP or as you say put less energy into the room with smaller speakers. 60Hz is not a frequency I would like to lose though as it’s the start of the kick drum range.

When you say notch filter do you mean a “Band Stop” in Roon terminology?

The trouble is, if you roll off the bass to “put less energy in at 60Hz” as you put it, it means you als curtail other frequencies, certainly lower ones, and the 60Hz will remain the most prominent. Dealing with it through adjusting listening position and speaker positions, and/pr room treatment is best, otherwise with a peak there is no risk cutting it with DSP, though whether doing that has other undesirable audible effects only you can judge (some people say DSP causes audible artefacts).

I am a lucky man, my wife also likes the corporate office suite look :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t think the natural gentle roll off from 70hz will matter as I use a velodyne sub that has room correction … the sub does not boom but the speakers do. So my plan is to use the Kan that rolls off from 70hz and then damp the room at around 60 to 65 hz … this I am hoping will do the trick. The velodyne should mesh in just great… The little pmc’s have quite allot of omph at 60hz … which just exacerbates things…its a shame as I love the speaker… but I also love the kan…

Not sure I use the equaliser…at put in a notch at 60hz … it works a treat…

Mine looks like this. A Peak/Dip type.

1 Like

Yes mines almost identical except mine cuts 9dB… I arrived at this after hours of testing… and surprisingly test tones sound even in volume…
Something like the P3ESR drops bass by 5db at around 60hz…then hopefully with some room treatment … I should get some good results…hopefully…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.