Roon 1.8

Circular won’t fix the real problem of so many artists just being a gray blob :slight_smile:

They’ve clearly taken a leaf out of Naim’s book as Classical Music is ‘reimagined’.

1 Like

Don’t understand why people spend so much money on this product, IMO of course

2 Likes

Focus is interesting, I can see myself using it a lot.

I don’t like the overall look, too much empty white space to my liking

1 Like

I agree, “Focus” looks very very interesting.

It’s not so much, I spend several times that on Sky & Netflix. And I do because there is no other remotely as useful solution that lets me …

1. … have streaming content and ripped files in one UI. (And I have a lot of ripped CDs that are important to me and not available on streaming. I even import a fake flac if a release is not on streaming and I only have the vinyl, this way I still have everything in one place and can add the metadata; often, Roon has the metadata anyway even if the music is not on Qobuz. Into the flac I put a female computer voice telling me to go fetch the vinyl, in case I forget and play it)
  2. … removes the pain from adding detailed metadata as well as it does (not perfect, but sufficient to make it feasible to enter the stuff I care about and that it does not know about, e.g., it’s not very good with Austrian punk from the 70ies-90ies :wink: )
  3. … mine my collection for interesting connections, such as who engineered what, or even simply lets me focus on e.g. all releases in my library from a certain label. This is important to me, e.g., I own nearly the complete catalog of SST Records.
  4. … gives me a quick glance on at least fundamental info on artist/albums/lyrics. Yes I can google, but I prefer to do this only if I have a deeper interest. When checking out something quickly, a quick summary of what it is about is nice. (And the blurbs are often not bad - not an in-depth critique, but good enough as a quick summary)
  5. Tags. Show me only my vinyl. Show me only my CDs. Show me all artists that I saw live. Show me all album covers I like.
  6. More granular rating than a binary favorite yes/no. I want to remember many albums for a variety of reasons. That doesn’t meant I want them to clutter my favorites.
  7. Buttons for artist website etc., integration with Songkick for local concert dates
  8. More

That said, they should have gone with Discog’s model for entering credits and artist names

12 Likes

Hope they fix the consistent crashes on the iPhone app!

2 Likes

Excited to try the new look. It needed a refresh as some areas didn’t work as well as others due to inconsistencies added by some new features. Also Iit looks like a lot less wasted space which is my main gripe. Might make using the phone app much better.

Reading through the articles linked in the thread on the forum and this is all pretty cool. Focus including Qobuz in total instead of just the library is fabulous

3 Likes

Looks really great from what we can see so far.
The Focus tool goes a lot further than today, and even the simple dashboard will provide an interesting angle on listening habits.
Lets see what the next 4 days’ worth of information e mails tells us!

3 Likes

Here’s the Darko link … which has more information.

4 Likes

missed that bit, thats really good, wil make searching new music.

haha I was just thinking I’ve never had an email saying (part 1 of 5)

1 Like

Thanks for this. Looks very promising!

1 Like

There is, confirmed by a Roon dev. And really so obvious that there never was any danger that it wouldn’t!

3 Likes

I guess it’s time, for those interested, to buy a lifetime license.

Not sure it’ll remain available any longer.

2 Likes
3 Likes

SST records, that takes me back to late nights in Tower records hunting for Dinosaur Jnr, Screaming Trees, Husker Du etc, need to dig them out some great records.

3 Likes

:heart: It’s a shame how they are usually recorded. I mean, I loved Spot’s engineering for political and artistic reasons, but listening to them now on a good system (and having seen many SST bands live) I can’t help but wonder what might have been if the records had had more oomph. But the most infuriating thing is that Hüsker Dü’s post-SST major label releases were subjected to the worst engineering ever.

Still breathtaking music though in large part. I once set out to acquire the complete catalog (not necessarily all original pressings) and am quite far along, like 270 or so, but of course you acquire a lot of the filler that Ginn thought he needed in later years to bolster the catalog to look more impressive to Walmart. But it’s a historian’s project for me and there is the odd gem among them :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent - it would not surprise me if there’s a light/dark option in Roon already, but I can’t find it!