Roon 1.8

On the last day of the trial. I’m finding it quite good.

Just wondering about Apple TV as a Roon end point. If it’s Airplay, does that limit the resolution of a stream?

This is from Roon FAQ

So basically it gives you CD quality (which ain’t half bad!).

.sjb

3 Likes

Thanks, got it working. Do you need the ATV Roon app to get the full functionality?

Many might also be interested about this

1 Like

No, that is not necessary. The ATV will be your endpoint only, you can control it from most Android, iDevice, Windows or Apple devices. There is an app called TV:Remote for the ATV that enables you to view artwork and to control Roon. You can find more on that on the Roon forum (expecially as you need to enable this paid extension in your Roon server).

1 Like

One optimisation with Roon if using a Naim streamer as a digital player (BNC output) is to override the Roon/Naim sample default word size down to 24 bits. On a revealing system it really makes a difference and reduces those veils and seems to time and feel better if driving a high quality DAC.
This comes into effect if you have any adjustment.

2 Likes

Sorry, I don’t really follow that. I have my Uniti Core and NDX2 on the network. Are you saying I can improve SQ by using the BNC connection from the Core to the NDX2 for local streaming, whilst having them wired to the network for internet streaming and control playback from Roon?

No sorry, if using the digital out of your NDX2, you can improve SQ by over riding the Roon sample word size for the NDX2 to 24 bits.

2 Likes

Not sure how that can change anything unless your using DSP as it will output native rate and only uses the 32 bit side when using DSP side to loose less resolution as it will scale 24 to 64 then 64 to 32 as that’s the max the streamer advertises it supports to Roon. For normal operation it will only output the max rate the music is. I guess the NDX if you give it 32bit may be scaling to 24bit internally for Spdif out and this is what the difference might be?

Exactly , like I said, when undertaking any adjustment such as level adjustment, headphone eq optimisation, room correction, recording error remedies etc… then having NDX2 set to 24 bits seems to make quite a difference using the 24 bit digital out into a highly resolving DAC like Dave, otherwise it’s simply RAAT pass through with native media resolution.

I’ll try this for tonight’s listening session. Previously I couldn’t tell but my setup is much better now. I do use “Max PCM rate(power of 2)” and “Precise, linear phase” from Roon DSP into my nDAC via the ND5XS2 digital out.

Cool… one thing I notice at 24 bit on revealing down stream components is that sibilance and treble detail clarity and texture all sound natural, life like and flowing, (plucked guitar, solo violins, harmonica, high hat) with 32 bit there appears a loss of extreme high end precision, and a bit of added digital grit, and accentuated sibilance can become notable on some recordings.

2 Likes

I am not getting on with Roon 1.8 bass response appears to have changed and it sounds too full with less precision…I am trying various things to no avail…it kinda sounds slower in the bass…upper and mid and vocals great…bass extension is great… It sounds on my system as if 125 hz to 60hz has been lifted … strange…so excessively warm…

1 Like

:popcorn:

3 Likes

I never noticed any changes with 1.8 apart from the visual ones.
Are you sure you haven’t enabled DSP?

2 Likes

How does Roon affect bass? Unless you’re using DSP?

1 Like

At least I don’t have to go to the 1.8 sound changes thread over at the Roon forum for some entertainment. Though I think manners here are too good to reach comparable heights

Can’t say I hear any difference and never have with any version in 4 + years of using it.

1 Like

I agreed with @Guinnless and @Mike_S, it must be due to the new 1.8 DSP implementation.

Of course, if DSP is used anything can happen. It’s by definition a data manipulation, and they did make changes to it in 1.8. Any claim about Roon sound changing should state whether DSP is in use.

1 Like