Roon 1.8

That will only work with Airplay, as the Apple TV3 is not Roon Ready.

1 Like

If anyone is running roon core on a qnap nas, you might want to check the roon forums. Qnap have identified an exploited security risk on the web interface of roon with such an installation. Apologies if its been posted before, have only just got my forum summary email.

1 Like

I do not know if roon is the cause, but qnap has lately been affected with ransom ware.

Not Roon itself it’s by the the guy who maintains the Nas builds of Roon, they are not official Roon releases. He’s admitted it was something he’s done and is fixing it.

I did not want to post a new thread, but I found this article interesting.

Really strange but there have been several updates to Roon 1.8…I have been working and not listening that critically…just enjoying music…when it really made me stop…and think heah…wow that’s good…has Roon 1.8 been adjusted sonically to me it sounds much better…

2 Likes

The one feature I still hope Roon implement is the ability to stream my library online. When I’m out and about and want to play music on my iPhone, I’m still using an old iTunes library I’ve not updated in over 10 years. I’d be happy if I could access my home library remotely.

(No I don’t subscribe to any streaming services; I suppose I will eventually.)

2 Likes

I think there is some talk on the roon forum that it is technically not possible to implement.

I think streaming the local content from the Core would be a nightmare with regard to network security. After all, there would have to be access to the local network from the greater internet. (Anyone who is equipped to deal with this can in fact already build a solution themselves). In addition, not everyone will have sufficient upload speed.

I believe that the only way for Roon to implement it sanely would be a Roon-in-the-cloud solution. However, “the cloud” is not sufficiently cheap and powerful for this, which is the only reason we have a Core at home in the first place. If this was solved, there might well be a legal minefield to solve as well (apparently, UK jurisdiction does not even allow you to rip CDs in the first place, I suppose uploading another copy to cloud storage is out of the question)

Yes, but they could package a controlled VPN solution into the Core, administered in the Cloud against your Account. This would allows your Roon Remote app on a portable device to be an endpoint connected through to your Core, and stream out, through a tunnel to the mobile device.
This is without any networking configuration for the consumer to implement/screw up.

However, most domestic ISP service only have a limited northbound speed, a tenth or twentieth of southbound services.
Mine is 50Mbit/s upload with 1Gbit/s down, but I realise this is not the norm.

1 Like

You would still have to open the ports on the router and possibly port-forward them to the core. It does not look like Roon wants the additional headache with networking configs. As you say, most people’s limited upward bandwidth might be an additional issue.
And legal issues are still at least to be investigated.

It is all doable, but not sanely, in my humble opinion.

1 Like

I do this with jriver media center, it’s easy to do if you know how to open a port in your router.

ReadyNAS Remote, now replaced by Netgear Cloud manage it without any local Network configuration on the Router or with Ports.

For my remote interaction with my Insteon Hub, I did have to configure port forwarding.

For my Heating (Tado) and Security Cameras (Blink), both of which are Cloud backends, but local on premise hardware there was no local Network configuration on the Router or with Ports.

So it is do-able, with little configuration and adminstration for the user to undertake.

Well yes, but if I don’t have this, or have another router configured to block/route traffic in whatever way I decide, the traffic still won’t get through.

Placing such a device in the customer’s network means taking up the burden of all their networking issues and security. It is bad enough for Naim and Roon with much simpler requirements

1 Like

Yet another update today…and sound for is clearer and clearer…definitely superior to the original changeover from 1.7 to 1.8

What updates are you talking about? These were the Roon updates since 1.8:

My system requested an update… and I updated it…I will check out version…and report back…

1 Like

My build is 795…updated yesterday … update did not go well had to reinstall but all went well then…sounds great. I originally went 1.8 and left it a while … it did not sound great to me then there have been various updates but it appeared to improve after 783…for me in anycase… The bass performance in my system is pretty good and it is very sensitive to change - if I loose the tightness then there is more interation with my room (which I am going to treat with the help of GIK … shortly)

It’s a bid odd as each of the updates should have been installed only once, and have been offered around the times given in the above screenshot.

Regarding the sound, I won’t comment. Except that if any version delivered anything else than the exact bit-perfect data every time, something was broken. (And most likely would have not worked at all, and not sent degraded sound data)

I cant explain it … except I do use some dsp at 59hz (to reduce a room mode -hence my desire to treat room) at the moment…so something may have changed there…