Roon: Advantages over Naim App?

Roon controls the volume on my NSC222 the same way that the remote control does. Does the volume control issue relate to older Naim streaming hardware?

This. Iā€™ve looked at Roon and didnā€™t find it appealing b/c I donā€™t want to be on a computer when Iā€™m listening to music. Using an Ipad app is as far as I want to go. And being tethered to another monthly sub is not appealing either. A NAS with asset (7K albums), Qobuz sub, and the Naim app are more than sufficient for my music enjoyment.

1 Like

I hear you. I donā€™t know if you know you can set up your NAS as the room server, and then use iPad/phone to control it.

With the new 200 series and 300 series products it is possible to use Roon to control the volume on the preamp (or for the NSC 222 the preamp part of it). For the NSS 333 and NAC 332 these products use ZigBee for wireless integration and are Roon Ready so that Roon can control the volume on the NAC 332 using both a slider and plus/minus buttons. Works a treat for me.

Itā€™s the separate Classic Naim preamps that canā€™t have their analogue volume controls accessed by Roon. Unitis and streaming preamps can.

You can use the Roon app on a phone or tablet, in much the same way as the Naim app. No need to use a computer for control.

1 Like

Ok, well, I like having one app to use and learning yet another software program and paying for yet another sub is not appealing to me. Esp when I have my needs already met.

1 Like

It is possible to control the volume on the Old Classic preamps and streamers via Roon. If you search the forum for ā€œRoon Harmony Logitechā€ then information on this can be found. You will need a Logitech Harmony Hub (which is no longer manufactured so you will need to scour the web for a second hand one) and will need to install Roon extensions. The Roon app can then send IR signals via the Harmony Hub to increase or decrease the volume on the Naim amp. Until recently I used this with a Supernait 2. Volume control is via plus minus buttons (there is no slider option, but I think thatā€™s the same as on the Naim app). A faff to set up but worked well for me.

Roon looks nice, performs well (if your server/core does too), and affords more control of all your network connected audio devices.

1 Like

The future of Roon is uncertain at this point in time as itā€™s been just acquired by Samsung/Harman. Personally, I donā€™t think the sale bodes well.

Is that based on the past history of Harman acquisitions or more of a gut feeling?

Based on my own speculation, not all acquisitions end up well, e.g. Slim Devices bought by Logitech, etc.

Roon is good but expensive to set up optimally on a dedicated NUC or Nucleus.
If you mainly stream music the UI, artist information, apply volume levelling and ability to use DSP to correct rooms modes which enhance SQ are differentiators to the Naim app.
Roon has been acquired by Harman International (division of Samsung) so is financially much more secure but clearly could be collapsed but given statement on Roon Community on how it will be run would appear unlikely. Have a read and decide yourself.
I became a lifetime member years ago which arguably was much riskier but have enjoyed Roon and how itā€™s been built out over that time - itā€™s not perfect though as the forum evidences!

Sorry, my mistake. Yes indeed Roon can control the volume by pressing the speaker icon. Actually Roon is better for volume as it shows the actual numbers exactly as displayed on the NSS333 with NAC332.

1 Like

Yeah, even the Linn app can tell you the volume on a Naim streamer. It would be nice if the Naim app could catch up.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve used Roon for some time, what it offered me when I ventured in to it was a single point of control across multiple ecosystems including Naim, Linn, Sonos and even an Amazon Echo Show in the kitchen.
It was also a well integrated way of combining an existing CD rips library as well as Qobuz and Tidal.
Iā€™ve never really used itā€™s more advanced features and much like many others I assume, use it more for itā€™s simplicity and ability to orchestrate across multiple products.
I used to use it all the time but these days tend to dip in and out of it a bit more, itā€™s still a very well thought out library manager and discovery tool and if you have a lot of different products at home brings them all in to one place very well.
If I was asked if it was something I could live without Iā€™d probably now say yes I could, whereas in the past I used it enough to feel Iā€™d miss it, I think thatā€™s more down to time to sit and disconnect and go on a discovery journey than anything else, I find now that Apple Music and Tidal do a good job providing recommended playlists based on my listening history and that gives enough of the curation and discovery aspect of Roon within the native apps to feel itā€™s less of a necessity. I use the Naim, Linn and Sonos apps and they all do a reasonable job if you just want to sit and press play.

2 Likes

I used the Linn app for years with my 272 (bubble soft work around) and it worked without a hitch. The latest update works great with album artwork as well. Really nice.

1 Like

I still have BubbleUPnP Server on my NAS. I used it with my NDX, but now with an NDX2 it still sounds better than the Naim app or Roon so Iā€™ve started using it again.

1 Like

Yeah, bubble soft for Qobuz and minimserver for lossless/hi res radio streaming is a big reason I opted to stay with the 272/555 rather than go NDS/NDX2 and spend more $$ and increase box count. The NDS for SQ was clearly better but I didnā€™t want go back to OC separates and the NDX2 just didnā€™t do much for me either way. I donā€™t really understand why the software running on a NAS sounds better but it did.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.