Roon and Naim Streamers (Choices and Problems)

Roon and Naim Streamers (Choices and Problems)

This topic was created in order to share our choices/difficulties with Roon.

Our Roon Endpoints (or Outputs) are one of the new streamers, but…

• What hardware hosts your Roon Core (Intel NUC, Mac, PC) ?

• Do you use Roon Rock or have you installed the Core on top of an operating system (MacOS, Windows, Linux, etc.)?

• Where is you Roon Core located? Near your HiFi or somewhere far on your network?

• How is your Roon Core connected to your streamer? WiFi or Ethernet?

Intel NUC

• Do you use Roon Rock or have you installed the Core on top of an operating system (MacOS, Windows, Linux, etc.)?

Win 10

• Where is you Roon Core located? Near your HiFi or somewhere far on your network?

Somewhere far far away

[/quote]

ethernet

.sjb

1 Like
    Intel NUC

Rock

Elsewhere on network

Ethernet

innuos zen so all in one solution. loctae don my hifi rack with wired connection to my nova via BT smarthub

Roon Nucleus

Another room with NAS

(Ethernet) -> Allo DigiOne -> (BNC) -> Naim DAC

• What hardware hosts your Roon Core?

A small USB SSD attached to a NAS [previously I had Roon Core on a Mac Book Pro and then a Mac Pro].

Roon Core is the sole occupier of the USB SSD and the NAS is set up for Apple files system

Roon Core is in the next room to my listening space connected via a short run of Ethernet cable through hole drilled into the wall near audio set up.

Ethernet to switch in listening space. Ethernet externally connected from router a couple of floors down.

D

Intel Nuc

Using Roon Rock

far from my HIFI

WIFI through Airport Express

1. Intel NUC (7i3BNH) with 2TB Seagate internal drive (music files copied from UnitiServe)
  2. Initially on MacOS, now on NUC
  3. Near hifi
  4. Ethernet to the Metrum Ambre endpoint (system 1) and directly to Metrum Pavane DAC via USB (system 2)
  1. Roon Core on Qnap 251+
  2. Located near hifi
  3. Ethernet connection.
  4. Music is on a Melco N10 directly connected to ND555

Innuos ZEN MK.II STD in one solution.

Roon Core on 7i7 Silent Fanless PC

Running ROCK

Near the hifi, used to have it hidden away in another room, made no difference so moved it.

Ethernet for main 2 living room zones, wireless for kitchen and bedrooms. 6 endpoints in total.

ROCK on an Intel NUC5i3 8GB RAM & 240GB SATA SSD
This is in the study with my bank of NAS units
It is wired, but with Powerlines between backend servers and frontend playback
NAS -> ROCK -> —-> Sonore UPnP Bridge -> NDS/555DR

Local switches for backend & frontend.
Sonore device is UltraRendu with Uptone LPS1, in case I need USB out in the future.
Simon

• Roon Nucleus
  • Rock
  • Hi-Fi Rack
  • Ethernet via a Melco N1A
  • Intel Nuc i5 8gb

• Roon Rock

• Close to system

• Wired ethernet connection from NUC to Cisco Swith. This switch is wired connected to NDX-2. All quality ethernet cables

• QNAP TS-251+ with 8GB of RAM

• The Roon core runs on the NAS, where my music is also stored. The Roon database is on an SSD connected to the NAS by USB 3.0.

• My NAS is located is a small room adjoining the living room, which hosts my Uniti Nova hidden in a “hi fi cupboard”. The connection from NAS to Nova is via Ethernet.

Oh…and I do like the new forum software! :grinning:

Stephen

Interesting replies!

I suppose many of you followed the Roon Labs sound quality recommendations, as I did.

I also read all the documentation related to hardware choices. The bottom line is that using Roon Rock on a decent NUC is probably the best way to go.

My NUC is widely overspec’d for its purpose (I own less than 2000 albums). I had in mind great reactivity and long term performance.

NUC specs:

• i7-8650U
  • 32Go Ram SO-DDR4 Corsaire Vengeance
  • 512Go SSD Samsung 960 Pro (for the data base)
  • 2To SeaGate FireCuda, mounted internally (fore the audio files)

At the moment my output/endpoint is… an iPhone!

It is connected to my nDAC as follows:

iPhone --> Audiophilleo 1 MKII + PurePower —> nDAC

Quite surprisingly it sounds amazingly well, compared to a wired connection.

I guess the fact that everything is on battery helps a lot.

It’s a nice setup but it’ll be replaced by a ND555 in a few days, if it arrives as expected.

-Have run Roon Core on various platforms, currently running on an iMac
-OSX currently
-located in my office… but only because that is where my iMac is.
-Ethernet

1 Like

How you finding it Simon. Are you still on trial that came with the new streamer or have you subscribed / bought lifetime. If not will you continue with it?

Hi, still on trial… quite enjoying it… not yet decided whether I will purchase the service.

QNAP HS-251 (2 GB RAM, 2 x 10 TB HDD, 128 GB SSD on USB 3.0 for roon-database, > 4500 Albums)

Roon-App installad on QNAP-NAS

Somewhere on my network

Ethernet

Everything works perfectly (without dropouts) and the sound is simply phenomenal!