Roon and Naim Streamers (Choices and Problems)

Update: after having lots of problems with the Sonore UPnP Bridge I have now switched to a Raspberry Pi with Allo Digione Signature. It’s working great and sounding awesome too.

1 Like

The prospect of this type of task is a main reason why I’m not going down the Roon road at the moment.

It’s the exception rather than the norm where this is required.

Deprive yourself no longer!

.sjb

1 Like

Yep this is not the norm only for retro fitting UPnP into Roon as it’s not supported these bridges are a fudge really. I never have to touch this for my 5 Raat endpoints. Just works.

What would Roon add that I don’t already have with Tidal > 272 controled via an iPad that work gave me?

My system sounds great.

It’s dead simple.

Tidal has plenty of information about the music and musicians for me.

I only have about 300 CDs and most of them are on Tidal, so I don’t need a NAS.

That’s fine for you, CG.
But I have no idea what 5 Raat endpoints are, and why they will improve my quality of life or my enjoyment of music.
By the time I research that, then get it, then fit it together and maintain it - will it sound much better, will it be more likely to go wrong, will it be superceded by the next wave of tekk??

But YES, if something is really going to sound loads better, and keep working for years, I’ll find the time and energy to sort it out…

If you only use Tidal then stick as you are. Roon does not improve on sq over what you have now and does not proclaim this it’s bit perfect like all audio software should be. It’s more about the user experience, multiroom and combining, local media files with online streaming seamlessly so they presented as one library not disparate entities

2 Likes

Thanks CG - that’s useful to hear.
There are loads of benefits of Roon, but not for me.
(“There is an infinite amount of hope in the universe … but not for us.”)

1 Like

For the record RAAT is Roons streaming protocol Roon Advanced Audio Transport or RAAT. All hardware that is offically Roon Ready or via the official Roon bridge used on raspberry pi hardware and other computer endpoints to send the music, control and metadata so it does not use UPnP.

Roon gives you loads and loads of extra stuff. You might like it, but you probably don’t really need any of it, and I don’t think it will make your system sound any better. If you ever change to a newer streamer that supports it, I would suggest doing the free trial, but if you’re happy with the 272, it’s probably not worth the hassle.

1 Like

Jim, I was responding to a post where you said this issue was the main reason why you were avoiding Roon.

You seem to have well thought out your reasons as articulated above (and they make sense) as to why Roon is not for you.

I can’t then understand why the main reason you would avoid Roon is possible clock drift in a multiple zone setup.

Why are you even bothering posting on a Roon and Naim thread if you have no interest in Roon?

.sjb

1 Like

I said A main reason - not the only main reason.
I wasn’t referring only to clock timing issues, but to the idea that to get Roon one has to get various new bits of software and hardware, and try to integrate them as well as maintaining them - and then deal with unforeseen problems like clock timing issues and interoperability problems, more electrical/em noise from PSUs, and so on.
I didn’t mention that main reason in my later list because I’d already mentioned it above.
I can post on this thread if I want - or should I ask your permission to do that?
I have seriously considered Roon and was posting as a kind of final test in case a helpful person could think of some reason why I had missed something and should get it.
And that worked because Crystal and Chrissu did both give me very useful feedback to say that I actually don’t really need Roon in my particular case.

1 Like

Apologies if I may have misjudged the tone of your reply to me.

I was honestly trying to tell you that the clock drift would most likely be a non-issue and that this was what was stopping you pulling the trigger on trialling Roon.

And of course also trying to help others that may form the opinion from following this post that this is a major issue.

You have my full permission to post on any thread :smiley:

.sjb

Sorry, John - my original post wasn’t supposed to be chippy.
I was genuinely rehearsing the reasons why I wasn’t going down the Roon road.
But it is a very popular way to go and I may end up there in future.
Also, your avatar is John Peel, and as a young punk I spend hours and hours for years and years dialling into his show on my Marantz tuner…so if you are the reincarnation of him I can only say Thank You!

2 Likes

I still think you should try it out and not dismiss it entirely as its free to try and you might be surprised. There are plenty of users who just have Tidal and use it. I personally can’t do with it out, any other system just seems antiquated and does not give me what I want. Its not perfect but once you get it , nothing else quite reaches the mark. But it’s not for everyone.

2 Likes

Hi Roon is not about sounding different from UPnP … like for like it doesn’t. Underneath the covers RAAT and UPnP media transfers are effectively the same.
Roon is about accessibility of recordings and providing additional information in support of your recordings and to aid discovery.
Roon is very effective and combing your music collections with physical and virtual… which is where many of the IT architectures in the commercial world are heading as well. So you can combine Qobuz and/or Tidal with your own to create a large diverse comprehensive collection that can be fun, insightful and satisfying to appreciate and enjoy.
For me it has enhanced my music collection massively and I have discovered so much that is new and interesting since I took on Roon (with Tidal)… my collection has nearly doubled.

Also, and this might be more a Naim thing, any difference in SQ or reliability between your local physical and virtual external collection disappears… it all becomes seamless… you have to look up to see where the source is, SQ wise it’s equivalent

5 Likes

I’ll keep it on my list - for a time when I have more time…

And I never have to touch the UltraRendu running the SonoreUPnP Bridge into my NDS, sorry @wilro15 it does work when used as a single source into a Network player as a Roon Endpoint.

I cancelled my trial today. If it was free I’d definitely use it but I dont find it brings a significant benefit (to me) for the cost and it’s just another subscription I could do without. I only have about 400 albums on my Innuos most of which are old and get occasional listening. I can understand if you had a lot more on a NAS and still regularly bought and ripped cd’s that it might be more useful. MQA was nice but again I dident notice a significant uplift. I also found the UI a bit clutterered and fussy. In terms of music discovery, which is its main benefit, I have other sources for that. It’s a pity the Tidal App and implementation by Naim is not a bit better, at least on the Tidal desktop site it offers you similar tracks and artists. Anyway, I’m out for the present but maybe down the line

1 Like

Heads up for anyone using a new gen streamer playing Roon to an off board DAC… you will almost certainly find a major SQ plus by manually setting the Naim streamer within Roon to a maximum of 24 bits as opposed to 32 bits. The in streamer decimation algorithm to convert 32 to 24 bits for SPDIF I unfortunately think is not the best. If you get Roon Core to do this instead by fixing max Naim streamer sample size to 24 bits, if you are like, me you will very much find prefereable…

1 Like