Roon and Naim Streamers (Choices and Problems)

Thanks again for the warning. I’ll check the BIOS version when I get the unit but I won’t update it just in case - normally that would be the first thing I’d do.

Is there any information from Roon about what they plan to do about the installation process when Intel no longer include ‘Legacy boot’ as an option in their NUC BIOS range? By the way, is it just the Rock installation procedure that won’t work with UEFI or will Roon simply not run at all even after a successful installation?

My NUC8i5BEH arrived today, so I’ve spent an hour or two setting it up.

Not without its issues -

Firstly, realised that I didn’t have any wired USB keyboards so had to rush out to PC World to buy a £6 cheap keyboard that will now probably never be used again.

Secondly, it took ages for me to get Roon Rock on my NUC to see my shared music folder on my NAS. I ended up having to include an IP address in the location address which might prove troublesome in the future.

Anyway, now up and running and hopefully Roon is now wading its way through the 2000 odd albums on my NAS. I’ll take a rest and let it complete its work before actually using the control app to play music or adding Tidal to my music collection. I need a break anyway.

Good news is that the fan in the NUC8i5BEH is pretty quiet - at least so far. By the way, the most recent BIOS (version 56) for the 8th gen NUCs does support legacy boot, so I have updated the BIOS from the installed version 41 to version 56.

1 Like

Did yo add the ffmpeg binary to codecs? Just its wise to add it for those odd files that might need playing or it will bomb out

I would also try and make sure you nas has either a fixed ip or you can reserve its IP via your router. this will ensure it wont loose connection.

Damn - I knew I must have forgotten something.

I was aware that the Rock installation didn’t come with all the codecs, but completely forgot about it when setting up the unit. I’ll go ahead and download them now.

Thanks for reminding me.

1 Like

Looking for a bit of help. I have located the location for the zipped codecs file as advised by the Rock installation guide, but I’m not sure which of the files to download. Can you help?

Located the file eventually with the help of the Roon Community.

Sorry been occupied editing my library tonight. Almost done.

Not sure why you has issues adding your Nas. I have found Linux does prefer IP addressed than friendly names. So used to using them cant remember when I ever used any devices host name.

… that suggests your home router perhaps is not running local dns correctly with it dhcp or your NAS is not optimally setup. You are right to call out potential issues of using specific IP addresses for shares etc… it will work but not a good idea in the longer run.

I tell my Roon Core to connect to ‘\\nas-37-37-XX\music’
Where ‘nas-37-37-XX’ is my media NAS host name, ‘nas-37-37-XX.localdomain’ is the dns name of my media NAS on my home network and ‘\music’ is the media share on it. ‘localdomain’ is the name I assign as my router internal domain name. This is a preferred term for a local domain and can aid DNS interworking with some devices.

The step I describe above are for DNS… the alternative mDNS uses a local domain of ‘local’ instead and can be used when there are DHCP and DNS limitations on the router and so works largely independent of them. so can be popular with low level consumer stuff… however the client needs to control the mDNS request and the hosts need to respond to it… it’s kind of like a DNS name discovery.

My router runs regular DNS and is updated by its DHCP, and my NAS a netgear… and not a fixed IP address in sight… so reliability in the longer term more assured.

Thanks Simon.

I will look into this further when I have Roon up and running to my satisfaction and some time on my hands…

the only issue I had with my ROCK installation and new Synology NAS setup was pointing ROCK at the network share. It just would not see the share having very carefully checked the SMB syntax and attempting to address it with an IP address instead. I was inputting the user name and password for the admin account correctly too. In the end I created a new non-admin user account on the NAS with a simple password giving access only to the music share and it worked. It may have been unhappy with some of the characters in my admin account password for the NAS I think.

I have found QNAP to be a bit odd in this regard too. Mine was fines with ROCK though, but other devices have had issues.

Off topic, but I wonder if anyone with Roon and Tidal could check something for me?

The album “Survivor Blues” by Walter Trout is listed in the Tidal MQA Masters library> However, when I play it, it appears to be standard 16 bit, 44.1KHz. I am almost certain that a day or two ago the album in Tidal Masters was indeed an MQA file, but it isn’t now. Can anyone check this out for me?

1 Like

I’ve seen this on other albums, not all songs are MQA. Strange why they do this.

You are right. It hadn’t occurred to me that the problem is restricted to just a few of the tracks. I’m now playing “Sadie” and it is indeed MQA. I wonder if there is a way to report this to Tidal?

Thanks.

I have reported this to Tidal - don’t know if they will do anything about it.

• What hardware hosts your Roon Core (Intel NUC, Mac, PC) ?
    Small Green Computer Sonic Transporter i5

• Do you use Roon Rock or have you installed the Core on top of an operating system (MacOS, Windows, Linux, etc.)?
    No. Sonic Transporter is running Linux

• Where is you Roon Core located? Near your HiFi or somewhere far on your network?
    Same room as Hifi

• How is your Roon Core connected to your streamer? WiFi or Ethernet?
    Ethernet through switch in listening room

I would also report it to Roon they maybe be able to chase Tidal to.

1 Like

It has just occurred to me that as a recent adopter of Roon I can now answer these questions:

Connected to the streamers in my 2 main HiFi setups over Ethernet (and switches), and to my Naim Muso over Wi-Fi.