Roon and Naim Streamers (Choices and Problems)

Yes unfortunately it’s not plug and play when used standalone. When its incorporated in LMS it has a GUI to set it up,that’s fairly easy but you can’t really use LMS and Roon at the same time as the endpoints will connect to LMS automatically and not be available in Roon. But it’s cheaper than buying Sonore only to find your not liking Roon. So it’s worth pursuing to give you an idea of how it all works.

It’s very neutral as a scource and the nova provides the naim character but also that’s very neutral compared to some of the separates. It’s a different sound signature

1 Like

And was it easy to set up and get working?

I’ve used LMS with various plugins in the past, both on a Mac and a Synology NAS, as a workaround to get various things to work over UPnP to a streamer. It worked for the Radio Paradise FLAC stream, Qobuz etc. so I suspect it would work for this too.

Hi Simon, can you elaborate a bit on Roon volume control? I currently have my device setup on my Nova for Roon as depicted:

This means that Roon let’s the Nova control volume and doesn’t apply processing to it, right?

Tomorrow, the Nova is going back to my dealer, where an NDX2 will replace it, I am thinking that this setting should be just set to the ‘fixed volume’ setting and allow the SN2 to have control of the volume output to the speakers.

Correct, but some devices can have the Roon Core control the volume… however other than level management the Naim endpoint doesn’t allow Roon to control the overall volume for the streamers, at least as far as I can see.

This provides a better view of the signal flow into Naim

1 Like

Jim, So if you use spdif into your 272 from a Zen, you will hear your 272’s DAC not the Zen if the spdif is near perfect. If the 272 can operate without the network then unplugging it may isolate it from any noise it picks up.

The sound is no better than before. Before I used Asset UPnP, also on the QNAP NAS. I switched from ND5 XS/XP5 XS to NDX2. That brought the biggest sound difference. Roon simply offers me better playback software (better playlist management, more information about the album/artist and, if necessary, a conversion to a NDX2 native playable format via DSP).

I’m missing how you run it stand-alone rather than in LMS

Yes the zip contains binary files for most OSs, so from the command line you would execute the squeeze2upnp-osx-multi-static binary file.

They state that it makes synchronization of the different zones difficult or impossible, so they don’t support it.

Thanks - it’s not a big deal. It would just be a nice to have, and I’d be happy with an approximation to synchronisation if that was possible.

I have now ordered a Vortexbox Mite and hopefully Weta is correct and it will allow me to use Roon and play my NDS and two Musos in sync as they are all UPnP

Martin Smith from Audiostore (where I preferred the mite) was very helpful and gave me some very knowledgeable advice over the phone, before I ordered the Mite.

It’s quite possible I have misunderstood Weta”s advice and it will be no one’s fault but my own… and Naim’s for having such an awful app!

Due to travel I won’t be able to test until the end of the month when I shall post the result.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge

1 Like

Hi @Davidr
Last night I could create a Roon group, but couldn’t play music (it would wake up the family) I tested the Roon groups this morning, and while the same song plays, they are not in sync more than a second out. So I think it will depend on the locations of the end points.

Hi @Weta

Was that just one group or a collection of groups?

What I am after is if all the end points in the group play in sync

You can tweak the delays to try and compensate also helps to make one the master clock.

You can make groups of endpoints. So you could have
an upstairs group and a downstairs group or all of them together. Wether full sync is achievable via the UPnP bridge I dont know. Syncing upnp devices in general is a little flakey and the fact your kidding Roon they are squeezeboxes using a third part device might add some more latency. You can tweak the delays in Roon to try and reduce or remove them and also set one as a master clock the rest will sync to.

@CrystalGipsy
Thanks… it’s sounding hopeful

Hope it works out.

• What hardware hosts your Roon Core (Intel NUC, Mac, PC) ?
    Laptop
  • Do you use Roon Rock or have you installed the Core on top of an operating system (MacOS, Windows, Linux, etc.)?
    Linux
  • Where is you Roon Core located? Near your HiFi or somewhere far on your network?
    Near (same rack)
  • How is your Roon Core connected to your streamer? WiFi or Ethernet?
    Wi FI Google (mesh)