Roon (RAAT) versus UPnP media transfer

Hi all,
I’m curious about the sq differences between room and upnp. For what it’s worth I have roonified my nd5 xs, not by adding a dac, but by using an LMS (Logitech media server) to upnp bridge. I enable LMS mode in the roon server and can play to the nd5 xs from the roon interface. Awesome! I expect that since the streamer still gets upnp delivered music the sq is preserved. The software lms-upnp bridge is opensource and on GitHub search for philippe44 lms-to-upnp. Interested to hear if anybody else has gone this route?

Cam

Without looking at your TCP flow you can’t equate one with the other… but the bandwidth from your media server becomes a variable

Yes, but with the Sonore UPnP Bridge, essentially the same concept, but packaged with the SonicorbiterOS, so less DIY :blush:

Used for about a year with an NDS to make this ‘Roon Ready’.
As you are feeding the NDS from the Ethernet port, with a UPnP protocol based flow, there is no format conversion to S/PDIF, as well as using the optimised path in Naim’s Classic Network players.

1 Like

simon.pepper,
I use the Sonore UPnP bridge with my NDS too…works really well but do you think the quality is compromised in some way using this approach vs. a streamer that is designed to be inherently ‘Roon Ready’?
Scott.

Thanks Simon (and Chris) for the info. Much appreciated

James

I’m probably out of my depth talking about this stuff, so maybe best to take my input with a pinch of salt! Interesting to try and grapple with these things, though.

Not at all, what is seen by the SHARC DSP processing and ultimately the DAC, in any of the Naim Network players, will be exactly the same data stream.

Thank you! Good to know.
Scott.

Would somebody mind explaining to me how tech like the Sonore UPnP Bridge works?

With standard Naim streaming, you use the Naim app to instruct the streamer to go and “fetch” the audio files from your NAS across the network.

How does the Sonore UPnP Bridge tell the streamer what to do without using the Naim app?

Scott, the answer is most likely yes in terms of sounding subtly different. What is relevant is the implementation of the transport streaming code. The Roon end point code on the streamer will be different from the UPnP media transfer code … we know different code execution here can make differences with SQ, WAV and FLAC is a good example of this… and much care is taken with Naim on code execution timing and efficiency to obtain maximum SQ performance.

So careful not to confuse identical media content necessarily sounding the same in all transfer modes… it doesn’t… I realise for some this might be hard to get ones head around :grinning:

Another example is the difference, certainly noticeable on the first ten streamers, between playing Tidal natively, and playing Tidal via a media proxy server such as BubbleUPnP. The latter typically sounded better… so you may find actually the SQ is better using abridge (talking subtle here) compared to native Roon end point…

This all goes to underline the value and importance of the transport, and why the NDX2, ND555 and to a large extent the ND5XS2 is a major upgrade over the NDX or NDS in terms of transport.

You can push media to a streamer as well using the UPnP control functions… therefore a media proxy server can convert RAAT to a UPnP stream. The proxy server (what some call a ‘bridge’) would terminate the RAAT stream, and initiate a UPnP controlled media transfer to the streamer.
The BubbkeSoft UPnP proxy media server works in a similar way, and allows Qobuz and Tidal to be played and transcoded and presented to the streamer as if locally sourced media.

Very interesting as I’m using bubble upnp as a proxy media server…
Trying to run tidal natively on a raspberry pi to improve SQ but maybe there’s no need for it ?

1 Like

Ali, give it a go… but I suspect not much to be gained if anything

I certainly found that Tidal from Roon to be better than Tidal from Naim’s implemenation, through the UPnP bridge to my NDS.
Plus with Roon you can play Tidal Masters with the MQA processing to a max of 24/96 in the Roon Core.
If the feeling/experience is that playback via UPnP is still better that the current RAAT implementation on the new streamers, it would be interesting to hear Roon through a ND555 alongside an NDS with the UPnP Bridge, playing from the same Roon Core & network.

1 Like

Thank you very much Simon.

As I know Roon decodes music files on Roon core, not Roon end point. The network content (RAAT) from Roon core to Roon end point in streamer is another format of PCM or DSD and control command.

Network content from UPnP server to UPnP renderer in streamer is basically music files and UPnP renderer needs to decode music files.

If you have RPi. (Linux) based network bridge you can easily monitor resource usage (CPU RAM Network Disk) of UPnP renderer app and Roon Bridge app. Actually Roon Bridge is very lightweight on resource usage.

But this does not mean Roon always has better SQ than UPnP.

I suspect no worthwhile unless there is an obvious improvement. To put in perspective the differences however are very subtle.
Simon

What are the main reasons of choosing Roon instead of DLNA streaming? When is the decision point of making the move?

Thx

For local media and Tidal you can use either… However I quite enjoy my local library and my virtual library being seamlessly linked and searchable, and Roon allows for that.
Roon also allows some bit manipulation to the audio should you wish such as speaker optimisation or room response filtering as well as MQA decoding upto 98kHz…
The sound differences i observe between the two for all things being equal are very minimal, and I have decided don’t really out weigh the advantages to me… so I tend to use Roon right now.

2 Likes

For me it was and has been the user interface. A more pleasant browsing and search experience, better content, ability to run the client on my Mac, and ability to use more than one client at a time Lyrics are nice too.

Downside is no volume control

1 Like