Roon vs Naim (again)

Oh it’s only with Roon then. Thanks

Has anyone tried using a 4K Apple TV as a Roon end point? How does it compare for sound quality? I wondering for our lounge how that and using a spare Heed DAC into a good integrated amp (SN2 or similar) might compare with the current Nova set up.

1 Like

It sounds good, but of course you have to have the tv on. You only have hdmi out. I suppose you could get a splitter etc, but really I would still be looking at a raspberry pi, rather than apple tv.

1 Like

Thanks. The main use would be using the TV optical output to the DAC for the regular TV sound output, but with the Apple TV Roon App as an option for music replay via the TV to the DAC / integrated amp.

It certainly works I have it in the bedrooms Roon will show the ATVs as end points and you just enter a code in Roon.

It’s not the last word in sound quality

1 Like

You could use an optical extractor, see AudioPraise VanityPRO HDMI audio extractor | Stereophile.com

1 Like

Just an update for anyone interested.

Core is ethernet. Devices are all wifi. I have this morning been playing again.

If connect the Nodes with the ds-10 the synch is almost perfect. When I connect the Vega the synch delay comes in. If I connect just the Vega with the DS-10 the synch again is almost perfect. I therefore suspect that a combination of inherent device processing delay, plus Roon attempting to time three separate makes of device becomes a little too much. Whether an increase in processing power or a dedicated Nucleus would solve this or not, I don’t know.

Roon can only stream to ATV using Airplay, so there is always some resampling to 44/48 (I forget which Airplay is standardized on) and I also don’t know if it is 16 or 24 bit.

I have done this (Roon > AppleTV > AV Receiver) a few times but it is not pleasing to me. If you have an option of adding a ethernet Roon endpoint (such as a micoRendu) that feeds your DAC via USB you will be MUCH happier with the sound quality. I have a AV Receiver that I can feed with both the ATV and the DAC outputs and there is no comparison in sound quality.

Unrelated to streaming Roon to ATV, there is a convenient 3rd party app called Roon Remote on the AppleTV that allows you to control Roon playback to all zones. It is not full featured (at all) but if you want to see what is currently playing on your TV as you listed on any of your Zones then it is quite nice to have.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed response, I thought there might be an issue with Roon using Airplay and that resulting in poor sound quality, so it’s good to have that explained. On balance, staying with the Nova in the second system (TV via optical and music via uPnP) is probably the best configuration for ease of use, and it’s certainly a great performer for a one box system.

I have used the Roon ATV app, which is quite nice when you want the visuals.

1 Like

If you want to see whats playing now kind of thing then just get a chromecast. Roon will pick this up as a ‘display’. When you are playing musif from your nova for instance roon can be told to display the artwork on the chromecast

2 Likes

I’ve been looking at using this on a smart TV that has Chromecast built in, but it doesn’t show up as a screen in the Roon setting. Do you have to use the web browser of the TV?

Anyway, when playing with that I remembered that my Panasonic OLED TVs can see my UnitiCore through the wired network. So, that seems to be a way to use the TV as a transport and then use an optical output to a DAC and integrated amp. I’m not convinced swapping out the Nova is a good option though, as it’s a very nice all-in-one,

Open roon, then settings then display. With the TV on, does it show up in there. If so activate it.

Start playing a track then pull up the volume icon bottom right, here you will see a tv icon click that and display now

Screenshot 2022-05-24 074751

1 Like

Probably final update on my Roon journey.

CPU usage on my PC after leaving Roon to settle and update all its metadata on my local store. 7 days in and

Note the max figure.

with Roon turned off

Also there is an article titled ‘Roon done right’ by David Snyder that gives some insight. I won’t post the link as I believe that is not allowed.

My own conclusion is that Roon requires hard wired LAN or fast wifi and good band width coupled with a fast processor to ensure hires file transfer and synchronisation. Any ‘slowness’ in the end point and/or network and Roon can not cope.

It is primarily a metadata provider rather than a synchronisation product or even a high end audio transfer mechanism.

The CPU numbers are about right, I guess. I wouldn’t worry about 100% max as such, because this may well have been there for one second, and resources exist to be used. (Of course it would not be normal or good if it pegged the CPU at 100 for extended time, but this can’t be seen from those screenshots).

A pity that it does not work for you, but playing to multiple zones simultaneously over wifi will tax the inherent limitations of wifi as discussed in the thread on the Room forum. Although with the wifi setup you described, my guess would have been that it should work (assuming a wire for the Core and between Core and music storage).

Of course, the apparently odd behavior of the Auralic probably doesn’t help.

With me not having tried complex multiroom over wifi, I am sadly not in position to state with confidence that your setup really should work, or that it is not expected to work at all, sorry.

No worries. It was always a temporary arrangement I was trying to test the concept of different makes of devices that I have acquired. Roon has its place but it isn’t for me. I have decided in the absence of any announcement re Amazon integration on Naim streamers to go for the Auralic- Aries/Vega G2.1 in the main system. Vega G1 (I already have) in the study, and Altair G1 in the TV room. The Nodes will go upstairs in the bedrooms and the DS-10 and Sqbx s will sadly be retired. My biggest disappointment is in the DS-10. It sounds great and looks good. Sadly its control software is not to my liking. Roon will not be required once I put that lot together.

For multiroom and timing delays I think Roon will benefit from a dedicated Nucleus and a hard wired connection if it is to be successful with ‘awkward’ endpoints.

I hope that you find the solution that does what you need, just unhappy that Roon doesn’t :I

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.