Router Isolation Stand?

Those pug ugly antenna’s will get to work far better in performance terms if you have it raised off the floor, then more if further its away from solid walls & house wiring.
By performance I don’t mean SQ, that just BS.

2 Likes

……pig ugly antennae….

Strange as I said before, that people spend a fortune on hi-fi racks for their electronics etc. and yet fail to realise that a router is also a piece of electronics that can benefit from proper isolation. As Mr. Spock would say “Illogical captain!”.

Yes proper isolation is typically in equipment racks with a suitable tray and air flow such as

https://cpc.farnell.com/productimages/standard/en_GB/42421379.jpg

Routers - certainly for higher internet speeds benefit from forced cooling. Noisy whirring fans are usually best to keep away from audio equipment etc.

I suggest the best bet is to put in a wooden office cupboard (if you are using wifi) or metal cabinet if not. Keeps it tidy - out of sight and safe… but easily accessible if you should need it

1 Like

What’s illogical is comparing completely different things in this way. If analog components vibrate, it can affect the analog output from the signal path. If the router vibrates, it does not affect the data coming out of it.

3 Likes

I think it looks cool very robust good reception I’m sure. However I wouldn’t have it on the floor

This really is a very tired argument. If it’s digital nothing affects it. It’s either works or it doesn’t. I’m afraid there’s rather more to it than that. If that were true then all digital hi-fi components would sound the same - and very obviously they don’t.

1 Like

Nobody listens to the digital part though only the analogue. :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, some people like to obsess on these things. My router is pretty far removed from my hifi, I have multiple switches b/w streamer and router. And both switches are on sorbothane feet. I’m good.

1 Like

That’s certainly true for DACs but they are not purely digital. But you are talking about supposed microphony of a switch or router.

The hypothesis of analog noise on the Ethernet cable influencing the analog parts of the streamer is already tenuous, but even if we take this at face value for the sake of the argument, microphony on top of this is orders of magnitude below even that.

If vibration on a home router changed anything, then a train passing the Amazon data center that’s 500 km away and used by Qobuz would have an effect, too. Or I’ll try online banking on the train in the hope that it juggles my payment from 0.01 euros to 100.

Some refutations of impossible claims are necessarily tired because the impossible and unsubstantiated claims are undead.

2 Likes

I tend to agree… if a router has an impact on SQ a where, something is faulty or substandard somewhere.

The only exception would be is conducted common mode noise… which is RFI… but the answer is typically network physical partitioning at layer 2 and/or physical distancing.?. But either way it points to a deficiency in the affected audio component and/or a poor quality/designed network component.

If you really are impacted with common mode noise with your streamer I strongly recommend you adopt wifi for your streamer… issue eliminated.

Unfortunately I think some tinker here to noise shape… ie tune the interference to affect the audio in a way that pleases. Nothing wrong per se… but does lead to a lot of spurious audiophile theories… and a mistaken view just because it sounds good there is no RFI etc… in fact it could be the complete opposite.

Of course Naim do adopt some of these principles in tuning the audio presentation of firmware within many of their products.

1 Like

I dunno. Mine sits on a windowsill upstairs. I probably would not put a router on the windowsill of the apartment that Brad Pitt and Gwyneth Paltrow shared in Seven. But otherwise I doubt it’s a big deal

2 Likes

My EE8 switch sounds better on a Fraim shelf than it does on the floor. I’ve also noticed that it sounds better if the incoming and outgoing Ethernet cable aren’t touching anything, so somethings being affected?

Simon-in-Suffolk and Suedkiez,

You both persist in making the mistake common in these types of discussions. ie. I know it all. It cannot possibly be because I cannot conceive of any mechanism by which it could occur. Thank God the human race as a whole did not historically adopt this attitude. If it had then you would both be eating your dinner in a cave. When you had finished you would have strewn the bones about the floor and used them the following day to fashion implements for hunting. Thank God for open minded people prepared to accept that there are more things in heaven and earth than they can possibly conceive of.

2 Likes

Yes, as usual I can go with that, but if we postulate the RFI transmission, via analog effects on the Ethernet cable, modulating analog parts of the streamer, the effects are very small at best. And now we are suddenly talking about microphony on the switch modulating this modulation, this is orders of magnitude smaller again, if it exists at all.

The advances of humankind that you are talking about were made by scientifically minded people, not by those believing in magic. Stop co-opting them.

Inquisitiveness is valuable but

• Claims and hypotheses must be tested
  • Some things really are impossible as much as you wish otherwise

I have an open mind. As soon as anyone has any evidence for these claims, I will start taking them serious

In any case, your opening question was:

It’s an open question. My answer is that it makes no sense. If you don’t like that, don’t ask next time. Or don’t say that experience is welcome, and add, “I am only interested in answers that don’t challenge or contradict my unsubstantiated assumptions”

Whatever I say, it’s up to you and I am sure you will find someone who is happy to take 1000 pounds off you for a router isolation platform.

/out

3 Likes

Or by those who refuse to accept that something may be possible despite the fact that they have no idea how. A thousand years ago the equipment that we take for granted today to listen to music on would have been considered to be magic or witchcraft.

That is the scientific way. Not ruling them out because you can’t understand them, which is just foolishness.

But you can’t presume to always know which things these are. Again unless you are a fool.

Ignorance I can accept. But I’m afraid that foolishness always brings out the worst in me, and it is the kind of utter foolishness on display here that has tended to hinder progress throughout the ages.

True words

1 Like

So I am fool for believing that a phenomenon may occur despite having no idea of the mechanism involved?

You on the other hand are entirely certain that it cannot be so because you believe that you understand and have knowledge of every possible causative physical mechanism that may exist.

Your thinking is more allied to that of a Tribal Witch Doctor than any kind of scientific approach that I know of. And I am a retired professional scientist. As I said. Ignorance I can accept - but foolishness …

No, but for accepting your intuitions without any evidence. This is the same as thinking that my neighbor’s new watch may be responsible for the headache I had yesterday. You can make up an infinite number of such things, and the fact that you can do this is no reason to think they are all real.

Similar to how I am entirely certain that the earth is round, although it IS possible that I am being elaborately duped

No it’s not. Whether you worked as a scientist is irrelevant. There are many doctors believing in the efficacy of Bach flower remedies.

1 Like