Router question

I’m thinking of getting an ndx/xpsdr.
I have to wire my internet cable to my hifi room since I want to direct wire the ndx2 (rather than use WiFi). I will also use this router to WiFi my iPad which I will use to control the ndx2 with the Naim app and also the Quobuz app.
What router to get?
I’m in the US
Thanks, david

which ever router you choose I would also put a switch in between the router and NDX2

Antz, please elaborate on this
I’m a streaming novice so keep it simple
David

I was too before I got my NDX in 2014, from what I understand routers do not have great switches built in, so an external swtich from router to switch to NAS to source is the best set up

started with a Net gear GS 105 which is not expensive and now have CISCO 2960G

my NDX was wired through Devolo switches to start with which worked but not ideal, one of the best investments I made was gettting my NDX directly wired into router

so my map is Router>CISCO>NAS>NDX

i get 100mbs at NDX which is max signal, I only use NAS for FLAC don’t stream

If you are from USA I suggest a search of www US forums & ‘best of’s’ for US specific ‘routers’

Antz is right about poor switches in routers (wireless hubs), but modern hubs have OK full duplex switches these days.
I did have problems with my old hub in that it got very hot & started to deform the case, it was an ISP supplied model that they used between 2011/14. Its switch-set was the problem & a separate network switch fixed that. I’ve since moved on a few times & the ISP supplied wireless hub I now have is considered a world standard.
I expect any ‘normal’ user would wonder why I still have a separate switch, well I do detect a better SQ & I also use the switch to avoid a bunch of ethernet cables making the room look untidy, just the one cable between hub & switch does it for me.
This is a basic diagram of how to hook up with & without a network switch.

1 Like

Hi David -

If you already have internet service, including the router supplied by your internet service provider, then you don’t need to add another router if you pull an ethernet cable from your existing router to your hifi room… you would just plug one end of the wire into a switch port on your existing router, and plug the other end into the new ndx. One router is all you should ever need for home networking.

If you think you want to plug in more devices in your hifi room, possibly including a wifi access point to get better signal for your iPad or whatever, then you can buy a simple switch, as Antz suggests. This is a sort of stand-alone version of the four-port switch that is almost certainly built into your router. It’s easy to use: you plug in the new Ethernet wire coming from your router to get connected back to your home network and out to the internet, and plug in your new ndx and whatever else you want into the other ports… kind of like an extension cord with an outlet strip allows you to plug one end into the wall socket to get electricity, and then you plug in however many things you want to power up. You might not need this at first, especially if you just want to try out the network streaming on your new ndx.

If I am misunderstanding your application, please ignore… but as you have indicated that you are a streaming novice, it may be a simple case of you thinking that you need something (a router) that you don’t… pulling the wire is the main task here. Good luck with your new adventures!

Regards,
alan

1 Like

This is what Alan is referring to. This is an 8 port switch, they do 4 port versions and 16 I believe. This was £30 a couple of years ago.

In this pic the yellow comes from the router, the red goes to the Sky tv box and one to the tv, the rest go off around the house to at least two other similar switches.

An Ethernet lead from the router goes to a Cisco 2960 in the same room that connects the Pi, NAS and 272 together.

It’s all quite straightforward, but only one router is needed, and wherever you need to split one Ethernet into more just add a switch.

David, which internet service provider do you have? Typically the home routers provided by the providers are just fine. I highly doubt you need to be shopping for a router.

Just recommend, as others have, a simple switch between the router and your devices. Nothing fancy is needed; an “unmanaged” Netgear switch is fine.

If you buy a new router, make sure you get one with the upcoming wifi 6 or 802.11 ax norms. Asus routers are easy to setup and have security options.

He likely won’t need a router but might want better wifi than his ISP’s device provides. He can do that while still using his ISP’s router.

And in some cases, the ISP’s router is essentially irreplaceable. I have Verizon FiOS fiber service, and the set top boxes for the tvs get ip addresses from the Verizon router. Without going too deep, suffice it to say that one must use Verizon’s router to get them to behave properly.

I have Verizon fios and their router.
The current router is at the opposite end of the house from the hifi and the WiFi signal in the hifi room is a bit weak ( when I use my iPad in hifi room sometimes the signal is weak.)
So if I send cable from current router to hifi room what is best recommendation to connect up the ndx2 and also improve my WiFi signal for iPad?
David

One thing I would recommend if you are getting a switch is to get a Gigabit rather than a 100/10 one. You may not need it now but…

Hi David,

Then you don’t need and definitely don’t want another router, especially if this also gives you your tv and/or phone service … it can sometimes be done, but it’s a world of hurt you should simply avoid!

There are lots of things available, but I suggest you look at Ubiquiti, which is reasonably priced “prosumer” gear that is fairly simple to install and manage.

You could consider their new AmpliFi Instant, which is a wifi access point that you would plug into the new Ethernet wire you will pull into your hifi room, and since it also has a second Ethernet port, you would plug your new ndx into that… supposed to be up and running in two minutes with no expert knowledge required. Caveat: I have not used this, but it is more friendly than lots of things and can be the start of a home wifi mesh network for you.

I use slightly older / classic UniFi Switch 8 and AP AC Lite units (a total of three of each spread around my large footprint two storey home and have great wifi coverage everywhere). You would want the cheapest, plain vanilla Switch 8 (one POE port among the 8 ports) or the slightly more expensive Switch 8-60W (four POE ports among the 8 ports)… You would plug your new Ethernet cable into this switch, plug the wall wart supply into the electrical outlet, then use a second Ethernet cable, plugged into the POE port to connect the the Access Point; this wire then serves the two functions of providing electrical power (POE means Power Over Ethernet) and making the connection to your network for the Access Point. Another Ethernet wire goes from a non-POE port (be sure!!) on the Switch to your ndx. These boxes, the switch and the access point, are about $100 to $150 each, and they work really well… much better functionality and build quality than other cheaper consumer brands or models.

The one “gotcha” is that you need to run a controller application on your computer when you first connect everything, so that you can provision the new equipment; give them a name, set the wireless network parameters, turn on the power to the POE port, update the firmware, etc. It’s easy and there are plenty of online tutorials. You don’t need to run the controller application all the time once you have it running, but you can look in periodically to check things out if you wish.

Anyway, that’s what you need: a wire, a switch, an access point, and some patch cables… easier to actually hook up than to describe!

Best wishes with whatever you choose! Lots of folks here run this stuff, so you should not lack for advice if help is required.

Regards alan

1 Like

David I have a similar setup. My Verizon router is on my 3rd floor, and my ND555 is on the first. I had the local hi fi shop’s crew run ethernet cable through the walls, from the area where the router is down to the living room where the main hi fi is. That was an easy solution, and just a few hundred dollars. That would be great if you can get ethernet run like that.

For the wi fi, I recently bought the Google Nest mesh system. I turn the wifi off on my Verizon router, and use the Google Nest wifi. It’s fabulous. Right now I have 4 of the devices (one on each floor) and everywhere in my home I get the full 100/100 speed that I pay for with Verizon. There are some other home mesh systems that are just as good. But the message is you can do much better for home wifi, and keep the Verizon router. (And it was quite easy to set up; easier than what Alan described above.)

Follow up if you have more questions.

2 Likes

Just get a google mesh wifi, and hook you ndx2 to one of google deices using an ethernet cable.

Alternatively, there are netgear, linksys and other mesh wifi systems. some are expensive, you can pay up to $1,000 for the latest “ax” wifi.

1 Like

Yes, sorry I did a bad job of explaining! I wholeheartedly agree, but did not say, that you can “replace” the ISP Router WiFi functionality (switch it off in the router settings page; add some other access point(s) of your choice - Ubiquiti, Nest, LinkSys, whatever) and get much better performance throughout your entire house.

I would only note that going straight to a “mesh” WiFi system may not be the best solution if you only want one new access point, or indeed if you have the capability to have wires pulled to every location where you would like to add a wireless access point (a so-called “wired backhaul” situation): hence the ridiculous amount of time I spent explaining the installation of a new switch and a wired-backhaul (Ubiquiti) AP.

All that said, perhaps you should start your purchase / installation with the goal of replacing your existing ISP wifi right from the get go, and buy (at least) two access points. Put one on a short wire right where the router lives now; put the other on the end of the long wire in your hifi room (and extend the wired network to your new ndx either by adding a switch or by using the wired pass-thru port on the access point).

Whichever brand or system you choose, it will work great and, if you get addicted to improving your home network, you can slowly and steadily add new access points (either with wired back-haul or connecting wirelessly to the other points to create a mesh), and improve your wifi all over your house and out into your yard or deck or garage or whatever.

It’s fun and easy… and doesn’t have to be expensive or scary. That was supposed to be my main message but it got lost in the obscure writing late at night here!

Have fun, good luck.

Regards alan

1 Like

A great suggestion; this SHOULD be sufficient.

1 Like

Asus RT-AX88U … I believe you can turn off the Fios Router while still using its Modem

I’m planning on running Ethernet cable cat 6 to my hifi room.
Then I can just connect up to the ndx2 right?
I wouldn’t need a switch since I have nothing else to connect up to.
Is that correct?
My WiFi is decent strength- typing away now sitting next to my hifi
Running the cable will be big job based on house layout. But will get it done. Some have recommended Blue Jeans cat 6 cable.
David

David the common recommendation is to buy a little Netgear unmanaged switch. They are $20 - $30 on Amazon. But if you have NOTHING else wired on your network, other than the NDX2 (you use it only for online streaming services – no home Nas or Naim Core etc?) then it’s probably fine just plugging it into one of the 2 or 3 unused ports on the back of your FiOS router.