Rugby

Nothing radical going on here. The interesting piece for me will be the 3/4 selections and if Nick Evans can engineer some threat out wide.

Please don’t put Daly at 15 though…that’s been tried.

1 Like

Apparently the Aussies has been in discussions with Eddie for 12 months.

More on reputation than recent achievements then…?

Maybe but the outside world think coaching England in anything is a tough gig.

Pete, I agree.

Post the RWC 2003 win, many of that team retired and England lost its way for a few years, until the likes of Lancaster came along and a new team was born. Problem is that most in the RWC2019 side are still playing and are beyond their peak, and many are in the latest squad, as English rugby hasn’t produced a production line of players…or perhaps it has and EJ didn’t pick them? We may find out over the next couple of months with the 6N’s.

Given the squad selected, it feels like more of the same. Borthwick has some significant injury absentees and a very short prep time before the Calcutta Cup. Expecting him to ring the changes as the tournament proceeds. Having Italy up next means the coaching team can maybe figure out what they want and whether they have the group to deliver it. My aspirations for 2023 are modest, as I think winning this RWC is a bridge too far. Getting to a semi would probably be as far as they can realistically achieve. Expecting the direction to be clear, though. Gats at least knows most of his squad though he would give his eye teeth to have Shaun Edwards back on defence duties. EJ has a bit more time and his specialty is getting quick results so expecting him to maybe lighten the mood of a few in this thread.

1 Like

Agree – it feels that way and with Evans now involved, I hope we can abandon the nonsense (IMV) of playing 2 x 10s and the rugby league inspired deep ball ‘out the back’, which is an invite to get hammered like an NFL QB.

…and we can dispense with all the BS about playing ‘total rugby’ or somesuch phrase.

1 Like

Think that’s true, at first I thought the timing was wrong but I now think the opposite. I believe he’ll have a quick impact on the players and if we can get everyone fit and on the pitch anything could happen. Our results last year weren’t as bad as it appears. Also I’d be careful about taking Italy too easy we made that mistake and paid a high and embarrassing price.

With Borthwick naming OF as captain and Fin Smith in the squad, it does suggest MS at 10, OF at 12 a la EJ. Or dropping MS to the bench with OF at 10…

When does the 6 Nations start?

4 February - 5 matches to be played over 7 weeks

1 Like

I’m looking forward to that

Me too, you’ve obviously got Stan sport.

Nope

How will you watch it?

Never you mind it’s a secret :crazy_face::crazy_face:

And seeing you have Kiwi heritage it’ll probably be illegal. :rofl::rofl:

Who me :crazy_face::crazy_face:

With such a short time to the 6nations (and RWC) it was hard to imagine Borthwick really ringing the changes in personnel, I just hope there is a change of approach and energy.

If Farrell plays I would prefer him at 10 rather than this additional 10 with Smith which seems to leave the back line short of pace and invention. I’d prefer them to stick with Smith at 10 and back him ‘alone’ but that doesn’t seem to be on the cards.

I wonder what success will look like for the RFU with these tournaments in short order? Borthwick has to be allowed time if they believe in him and that might mean accepting 2023 is a bit of a lost year.

I just want some energy, some ‘Bazball’ rugby, and not just for 10 minutes in a match.

Bruce

3 Likes

Can’t imagine they’d want to write off the WC already. Aussies feel by changing coach in less time is going to produce results however they Will definitely focus on the next WC here 2027.