Rugby

I kept yelling at the TV give Arundell the ball and he will score a try. My wife and my lads thought I was nuts. That will learn them.

1 Like

Today was one step forward and half a step back. The selection of players in correct positions worked well and performances by Willis and Lawrence gave England a lot of first Hal go forward. Combination of an Italian response to their coaches’ half time castigation and England taking foot off the gas made the 3rd quarter frustrating and substitutions somewhat inexplicable apart from Mitchell and Arundell.

Very pleased next game against Wales. Will be intense and a genuine test but should present challenges that this group should overcome :crossed_fingers: France and Ireland will be so much sterner tests so getting anything out of either game will be a real bonus.

3 Likes

Agree – a case of what did we learn (IMHO):

1- If you play a tight game against Italy, you nullify their biggest threats.
2- England have a decent front 8 even with the likes of Lawes and others being injured – Willis was immense and could play 6/7. As a ball-player, he’s better than the Curry twins.
3- Farrell isn’t a shadow on Sexton. Why the ball was continually kicked-in behind near Italy’s 'line is a mystery. England with Farrell reverted to a Rob Andrew style kicker at 10, who offers very little in the running game (even less!) and is their to ship the ball on, and drop back to police return kicks. I know Carter (a former centre) set the bar for FHs, but there was a lack of aspiration at 10. Perhaps this was the plan to not risk too much open play?
4- England need faster ruck ball (Borthwick said so post game) and/or far better timing from supporting players. Better ball presentation would help – many fell the wrong way and were lucky not to get pinged.
5- It was great to see a running 12/13 – but the support was often too far back. This was, by far, the biggest improvement for me – but, whatever back moves had been worked on, failed utterly in the heat of battle – with the cavalry charge by Lawrence being the best option.

I think Ireland are 25 points better than England at the moment, France perhaps 20 if they get an open game.

2 Likes

Why oh why do ITV use Nick Muggins !! as a commentator. He rabbits on and spouts inane comments that’s got nothing to do with the game.
Give me the BBC team anyway

2 Likes

I would submit not as bad as whoever did the England game on the BBC(?) highlights. It was a screech-athon to my ears.

Perhaps I have rose-tinted glasses, but the commentators of yesteryear (Bill McLaren, Cliff Morgan to name 2 - and Richie for cricket) didn’t attempt to over-dramatise things. I liked Eddie Butler too.

1 Like

Andrew Cotter is decent.

2 Likes

Borthwick has nailed his future on Farrell at 10. Made him captain and prioritised him over Smith. So England supporters are going to have to suck it up.

I wonder if he might try Mitchell at 9? JvP is not yet established or convincing to my mind, worth a look at someone else now they have moved on (thanks) from Youngs

Bruce

I disagree with that. Eddie made him captain and he just hasn’t been dropped yet.

Eddie had Lawes as Captain

I think the right outcome, noting the language that ‘worthy of a red card’. I didn’t hear the comments in the BBC studio. Rugby appears to be wrapping itself up in knots with all the language around tackle height and safety, a bit like VAR in football. It’s perverse that Barnes was correct but the citing commission, it appears, see things differently.

Six Nations 2023: France prop Uini Atonio handed three-match ban for Rob Herring tackle - BBC Sport

BBC can be good with the caveat that Jonathan Davies should be tied in a sack throughout the entire match. For an ex player he adds the least value. Especially if his beloved Wales are on the field.

2 Likes

Lawes hasn’t even played for England since last July.

I see Hamish Watson is back in the Scotland team. Not sure that his recent form warrants it, but if he plays like last year he will be a threat.

Thought there’d be some posts especially after an English win.

As a neutral it was enjoyable. Englands defence is pretty good and their back row are great players just seems to be missing some sparkle. Welsh need a lot more it’s rather sad seeing them play such uninspired rugby. Made worse by the English supporters out singing the home side that’s so un-Welsh.

Haven’t seen the Italy v France game yet but it sounded like the Azure are playing some good rugby.

TBH it was a pretty flat game. Wales are in a bad place, so not sure what the result proves as far as England are concerned. The aerial ping pong was pretty repetitive and we now face a much stiffer test vs France and Ireland in the last 2 games. I suspect we will end up played 5, won 2.

2 Likes

One thing that doesn’t get mentioned is that world rugby is now very competitive across 6-8 teams now. It’s so much better than having one dominant team and only one or two other that’s capable of an occasional upset win.

1 Like

No it’s not ha ha :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

Knew that’d drag you out your cage. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Yep I took the bait - you ok ?

Fine thanks for asking. Been drawing and listening to music all day. Had a huge drive yesterday that I’m still recovering from.

Back to rugby I know it’s hard on you Kiwis but get over it, it’s good for rugby. Sorry. :grin::grin:

Watched the Italy v Ireland game this morning those Italians are starting to play some good football. Ireland still look good looking forward to the France v Scotland game tonight that should be good.

1 Like