Rugby

I think Borthwick’s played a blinder there. The French have been focusing their attack and defence around Farrell and now they have to cope with a totally different player. I suppose that also works the other way with Smith’s lack of training time with the rest of the team.

It should be interesting.

1 Like

You can play whatever fly half you like, if you are bring trashed at the breakdown it is pretty irrelevant …

Bruce

3 Likes

Was just about to post something very similar. Getting overpowered and shipping needless pens, just for a change! England’s lack of pace in the 3/4’s is showing again.

First half the most embarrassing and error strewn performance I’ve ever seen from England.

1 Like

…and a very good opposition to be fair.

1 Like

I would say 1st XV v 2nd XV but that was more like v 3rd XV given the disparity in size, power and speed. Many of this England team are 3Y’s + past their best in the international arena, as England’s recent results have shown – the problem is, there is nobody definitively better in the English game.

As you said above, the fly-half debate is irrelevant – and when Farrell came on things arguably got worse.

1 Like

Shockingly poor performance from England on their home patch.

Peter

France faster, stronger, more skilful. England outclassed.

Forget tactics and strategy for a moment but when did you see a single member of the pack break the line? In any of their games? Compare that to the power and athleticism of the French or Irish forwards. England are way behind.

Man for man not one English player would make that French team. Time to start a long rebuild with fresh faces if necessary. Let Borthwick do that with time and support, and ignore any expectations at RWC.

Bruce

2 Likes

I switched off at half time. When I checked the final score I could see that England were just as poor in the second half. Looks like we’ll be going to the World Cup to make up the numbers.

A bit like the Liverpool v ManU game recently, once things unravel, quality predominates given opportunity – and England, as @BruceW says above, don’t have quality in any area, especially in creativity. Correction, England’s strongest suit is giving away dumb penalties. And what we’re seeing is only what is evident from the European competitions.

It’s pretty clear to my eyes that Jones’ negative kicking tactics were glossing over England’s obvious shortcomings, especially when games were opened out e.g. Scotland and others.

Years ago, I think it was said (by some) that David Burcher, a Welsh centre, lacked a yard or so of pace to play in that position. Compared to Farrell he was an Olympic sprinter.

3 Likes

To try and put a different slant on it, France were awesome today and would have beaten anyone in my opinion, including Ireland. Yes England were beaten in every area and the gulf is undeniable, but on that form France are real RWC contenders.

2 Likes

French showed why along with Ireland they’re the teams to beat. They just looked awesome today great to see some wonderful running rugby.

England just looked completely outclassed all over the park and have some serious work to do if they want make an impression at this years WC.

Looking forward to Scotland v Ireland tonight.

1 Like

Italy didn’t have much luck against Wales for much of the first half. Still just a bit of control and poise away from that win, but I am enjoying watching them.

Wales did enough

Bruce

1 Like

Rhys Webb was outstanding … but getting long in the tooth. He will be needed to save us from embarrassment at the RWC.

2 Likes

A timely reality check. The damage caused by the RFU (who unfathomably paid their CEO a performance bonus while sending EJ laughing to the bank) is revealed in all its hideous detail. Having thrown away the 2003 RWC legacy they trashed the opportunities to build on the 2019 performance by retaining EJ and all the pigeons came home to roost yesterday. I just hope a few crapped on Sweeney.

France showed what 4 years of focus can bring, as have Ireland. It would be an injustice if neither side succeed in lifting the trophy in Paris. The return of Danty at 12 was the missing link in defence from their previous games.

Borthwick has to be given the mandate to build for Sydney 2027, just as SCW was. He looked shell shocked in the studio, but both he and Jonny Wilkinson made the point that their reality check was the 1998 76-0 hammering in Australia. 1999 RWC was always going to be a developmental tournament and the rest is history.

England’s draw means a realistic target should be to achieve SF place - that would mean beating Argentina and Japan and then who out of Australia, Wales and Georgia comes second in that pool. Do that and they meet the big boys in a one off game.

2 Likes

Scotland vs Ireland showed what a rugby test match is all about.
Shame Scotland couldn’t up their game.

1 Like

Ireland once again showed their depth and quality under considerable pressure. Impressive performance at hooker by Healey!

A fine match, Scotland shouldn’t be too disheartened.

Bruce

2 Likes

Ireland after a slow start just did what they do best, good gutsy win. He hurts me to say this but how good is Northern Hemisphere rugby right now.

1 Like

Well - France , Scotland and Ireland a big yes

Wales and England - a definite no

Italy - on the rise

God knows what the RWC will bring for the Wallabies, AB’s , the Boks and Argentina

I’m thinking a Boks vs either France or Ireland final

2 Likes

Have you been taking disagreement pills lately. :wink: