Running an old cartridge?

@SteveO have you had any occurrences of the problem since you started running the AT ?

Not as yet …
I’ll give it a couple more weeks before I satisfy myself the XX-2 is the villain.

Had the same problems with my DV XX2 Mk2 (loud cracks). They are gone since i mounted the Lyra in.

Had an AT Oc 9 Mk2 some years back and it was a nice and reasonable alternative, which brought a lot of joy . Followed by an AT 33 . I listen to 6-8 hours of music almost every day and couldn `t justify the high class pick ups.

Still I was shocked how much better the DV XX2 was and now again the Lyra. Really strange, that the cracks occure on the XX2. Might this be a known issue with this cartridge i wonder?

That’s really interesting re the pops on the XX-2.
I find the top end of the ATOC9 really open and enjoyable but overall I couldn’t live with it long term.
Are you using a Delos?
I have to say I’ve loved the XX- 2, great growl on the bass notes and very driving and dynamic. The first one was trouble free and was on the deck for 7 years. This one failed* after 18 months (*assuming it is to blame, and it seems more likely as time goes on). It does mean I’ve lost confidence in it and unless Dynavector offer a deal due to its young age I’ll likely look for an alternative.
I have a shortlist of the Lyra Delos, Hana ML and AT-ART9. I also liked the reviews of the Ortofon Cadenza’s, the Blue or Bronze fit my budget, however my dealer knows my tastes and thinks the Ortofons would be too polite for me.
How does the Lyra compare against the XX-2 and how does it differ? From the reviews the Hana is probably edging it but obviously I won’t know until I get to hear them.
Thanks.

I enjoyed the AT9, but as you mentioned the DV XX2 is in a different class. Right now I mounted an used Lyra Kleos. Again a clear step up from the DV in almost any aspekt. Unfortunatelly the Kleos underwent a price adjustment with over 25-30% . It was by far not cheep before, but many rated it as a bargain in it`s price range.

It is remarkable, what those different cartridges can archive, when stepping up the price-ledder.

Thanks for that @Pylod.
I don’t think the budget will stretch as far as a Kleos. Also I have to be honest, having to mount a nude cartridge frightens me to death.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.