Russell K Red 120 with Nait XS2 is missing punch & attack

Is there can option for you to try a more powerful amplifier ?

Sorry if this is addressed earlier…

Changing speakers will do nothing to address the fact that you need to improve the source. That’s where the problems are coming from. Getting a better amplifier while leaving the source unchanged will very likely make matters worse.

Sorry…i did not notice the source…
@anon4489532 has a valid point…

Just to muddy the waters source wise, I am currently listening to a bit of Miles Davis through:

• Amazon Music on PC
  • Bluetooth APTX to Arcam irDAC II
  • < £20 “Sounds Heavenly” RCA-DIN
  • 282 + HiCap
  • TQ Silver II
  • Red 120s

I have to say it sounds pretty decent but a CDX2 + XPS -> HiLine obviously blows it away.

I need to report my last couple of weeks and the MOST unexpected solution that solved most of my issues with the Russell’s!
Let me start with what I tried in the last weeks:
Step 1: Connected the Russell’s to Hegel H90 + Bluesound Node 2i --> missed punch and attack and fullness
Step 2: Bought a very good priced Nait XS2. Connected to + Node 2i. Slight improvement but still nothing spectacular in terms of sound. Lack of punch still there, better rhythm but not as quick as much PRAT as I was expecting. Still a bit dull and sharp at times.
Step 3: After many people here said the problem was the source I borrowed a ND5XS (1st gen), connected to the Nait. Dynamics and PRaT improved significantly but punch was still a bit dull and energy was also not what I wanted.
EDIT: Step 3.5: I borrowed an Uniti Atom. Didn’t solve the problem either and made the highs sound even sharper and more aggressive than before.
Step 4: I bought a Nova for a great price. It was fuller but bass got a bit boomy sometimes. PRaT was OK but punch and attack + overall energy was still not what I was looking for. I sold it and also put my speakers for sale.
Step 5: During the process of installing the Nova I removed the Hegel H90 (which was always fully switched off) and moved it to the bedroom. Nait was moved under the sofa for temporary storage (in case the Nova would blow me away i would sell the Nait).
Step 6: I put back the Nait so I could demo the speakers in case buyers would come.
NOW HERE IT COMES:

1. I put the Nait directly in the cabinet and NOT in the cabinet on top of our DVD/CD player which I did before (not with the Nova though)
  2. I put the power cable of the Hegel H90 into the Nait instead of the cable supplied with the Nait cable as it was easier to reach. I then connected the Node again.

What happened then was beyond my belief!! I didn’t believe these speakers would fit me anymore and wasn’t actively listening to the music but sitting on the other side of the room. I suddenly felt like I heard the punches of some rock songs and I walked over to the sofa to confirm what I was hearing.
There suddenly was energy in the music! Punch form drums, attack, more PRat and the music sounder fuller and richer!! There was emotion and I got chills from the music!!!
I have ABSOLUTELY no idea what it is whether it is the (standard) power cable of the Hegel or the fact that the Hegel is gone and the Nait is placed and a more solid surface. I NEVER believed in super expensive cables and electricity filtering etc. I was not out to discover something here cause I basically gave up on the speakers already but this happened with pure luck because the other cable was easier to reach!!

Now I am amazed by this discovery and still can’t believe it. Even my parents, who are no hifi fanatics, said “the speakers sound much better than in the last weeks” and I didn’t even tell them my findings yet when they said it.
Now the Russell’s can still sound a tad aggressive sometimes with female voices so I am still evaluating whether to keep them or not but overall there is now a LOT to like and maybe even enough to decide to keep them. Over the next that decision is going to be made. But now I am rocking on with Dire Straits for since the first time I had them!! I am super happy. I am contemplating to try the ND5XS2 instead of the Node now that Nait is working the way it should.

I hope this story can be of help to people and that people can give their input on what could have been going on here.

1 Like

Naim amps (probably any amps, in fact) will really hate being placed on top of other live electronics. So I don’t think there’s any surprise that moving the amp elsewhere improves things for you. Always nice when the solution to a problem is free!

1 Like

FWIW, I had ND5 XS > NAIT XS 2 > NAC A5 > ProAc D2’s and then a pair of Naim Ovator S-400’s and loved that combination.

The ND5 XS2 > NAIT XS2 is a very nice combination. You can always try a PowerSupply with the XS as well to see if the improves your music.

Good luck with your journey! …it does sound like you are having some fun…

The DVD player was not plugged in though.

What I think the problem really was was that the supplied cable from the Nait was plugged not “correct” and the polarity was thus reversed. I guess the Hegel H90 cable was plugged correctly with the poles aligned.
According to Russell himself this has a huge impact on the speakers.
I ordered a van der Hul polarity checker and will check all my other equipment as well to see whether it’s further improving. Could also be that the power strip the Nait and Nova cable was plugged into was of really shitty quality as this was plugged into another power strip which was going into the mains. The Hegel cable was in the first power strip the Nait in the second one.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.