Say goodbye to your Armageddon : usher in a Radikal

There is a difference AC worth the purchase

3 Likes

Back when I had the built in Naim boards in my 102, the sound I was getting was not satisfactory: grubby and not as dynamic as I would like, not helped by substantial radio interference. The Linto was a revelation by comparison: dead quiet, clean, and punchy. I still remember that sunny Saturday afternoon, after I had borrowed my dealerā€™s demo unit - I couldnā€™t tear myself away from it.

Over time, however, I became disenchanted with the Linto and, when I auditioned the SuperLine, the latter was much more engaging and natural, even when driven by my 282ā€™s AUX outlet. The Linto now seems afflicted with the curse that (to my ears) affects a lot of Linn amplifiers - itā€™s a tiny bit boring.

To be fair, my current place has almost no RFI issues, which allows the SuperLine to shine. If that was not the case, I might now have a Urika - a bit less engaging, but hearing faint rustles of a radio station alongside my records is a complete deal breaker for me.

2 Likes

Regarding the Collaro mat - it will bring a reduction in noisefloor and is less static-prone than Linnā€™s but it ainā€™t a game-changer. If the OP is not particularly happy with the deckā€™s performance it will probably take more drastic tinkering than a Ā£99 mat IMHO.

2 Likes

Gulp! Apology accepted although I had a sleepless night terrorised by images of red plastic spatulas invading an alloy platter: reminiscent of the Pink Floydā€™ Wall video marching fascist hammersā€¦

1 Like

:laughing:

Perchance the Linto is not up to snuff? Mayhap the bearing is shot? Iā€™ve had two CirKus, and both ended up contaminated with crud, but for me it made the sound muddy and treble distorted like a worn stylus,

The Swain fettled upgrades have been an utter clarity sensation like a sunset after rain: glorious. Two Iron Maiden albums, previously unlistenable due to them sounding so weedy now have heft, bite and substance.

Are you leaving the Radikal switched on? Where is it placed?

When was the last time you cleaned your connections?

Everything in phase?

HiCap / Supercap all recently serviced?

Just listening to Bryan Ferryā€™s Bete Noire: FFS! (Full Frequency Sound, of course). You should hear it!

1 Like

Iā€™ll do a bit on tinkering.

Iā€™ve moved the system back to the original room but itā€™s a suspended floor not solid like the other, and we now have engineered wood on top not carpet so there may be unwanted reflections.

Yes Radikal was on 24/7 until I figured out wheer the on/off switch was! All stuff recent on serviced in recent years.

Phase should be ok. Connections reasonably clean.

Iā€™m suspicious of the Krystal - aluminium cantilever not boron and surface noise is much higher than with an older AT OC9 with boron cantilever. Still have the original Arkiv, perhaps I should fit that and see how it sounds though the older I get the more reluctant I am to do these things myself when they were easy 20 years ago!

1 Like

Youā€™re braver than me! Iā€™ve never fitted a stylus in my life! Strictly dealer territory for me, Iā€™m afraid.

1 Like

Iā€™m also leery of the Krystal. Lots of threads on various fora reporting problems and concerns.

If I was in the market for a Linn cartridge, the new Kendo would be high on my list. The price is a bit higher than the Krystal - it sits between the Krystal and the Kandid - but itā€™s getting very good reviews so far. Also (and I know this should not be a factor) I think it and its sibling the Ekstatik are absolutely gorgeous (Iā€™m on my second Kandid and I still think itā€™s an ugly little thing).

1 Like

Bring back the Troika. Best looking cartridge ever (and I never had one.)

1 Like

I had two of them. Mediocre tracking and a short lifespan, but without a doubt the best looking Linn cartridge before the Ekstatik. To my eye, the Troika looks more like a piece of fine jewellery, whereas the Ekstatik looks like state of the art industrial design.

I will need to replace my Krystal, so am interested by your comment on Kendo, as discussed in another thread. What reviews have you seen?

1 Like

May I recommend the Dynavactor XX2: extraordinary power, tracking and clean as a whistle. Lasts well and decent part exchange when comes to renewal.

4 Likes

Have you had your bearings checked (ooh err!).

The reason I went for the Aro was that the bearings on my Ittok VII wore out and at the time Linn were not very sympathetic. Sounded horribly grainy, K9 (grey) notwithstanding.

Yes, dealer thought they were ok when I got the Karousel

Wish Iā€™d gone for that rather than the Krystal which has far more surface noise.

K9 was a great MM - must admit I preferred the yellow over the later grey. Still have it, somewhereā€¦ā€¦maybe on the original Akito,

Didnā€™t notice the difference on the knackered second hand Ittok!

Good to know!

On my 4th XX2ā€¦

1 Like