SBL question

It might be the angle of the photo, or shadow; without seeing them in the wood it’s impossible to say. Odd that the serial number seems to a absent though.

Ah. I see what you mean now.

Though whether it might be a problem, I’m not sure. Difficult to say without looking at the back of another pair.

I think it’s a thin spacer rather than something sinister, the rest of the cabinets look in to good condition to be messed about with

@anon4489532 is right. Mine are 178***. But as he says, probably veneered in the same batch.

Yes. The same colour/veneer all over.

Here’s a photo of the back of mine, best I can do without moving them. First, it shows consistent veneer in the area where @Robbo ’s have the lighter veneer. Second, the areas marked by @ColinP appear to be a repair, but the image is blurred so it’s hard to tell. ColinP’s marked areas coincide with the location of the rear pins on which the middle box rests.

I would ask the seller for clarification.

2 Likes

wow, no dust!

3 Likes

In view of these various unknowns, I’d give them a miss. The same questions would arise should you come to sell them later.

I did see these for sale and the price was quite shocking, but not in the UK, so this might account for that.
But they do look nice from the front

It is a shame as they really look in excellent condition, but I think you are right hungryhalibut (great name!), I should probably give them a miss, especially as he is asking top dollar. Back to square 1 - if anybody knows of a mint set of SBLs or SL2s feel free to ping me! :slight_smile:
Thank you to you all for your help - I did call naim but they appear to have lost the knowledge of these older products, and were not able to advise. Good to be able to get help on these things from the community :pray:

I’d ask the question to the seller, you never know it might just be something silly

I’m not sure what to ask on the frame anomaly - I am not familiar enough with SBLs to have faith in my ability to discern what is ok/not ok… :grimacing:

I’d just ask what the pale area is and could you have clearer pictures of it. Worth asking as otherwise they look mint, they might well be up with the best out there and that may well be just a bit of card to help alignment or something

1 Like

I too have found that is often the way when seeking out long discontinued but iconic Naim gear. It’s a difficult one. You’ve got to know what you are looking at.

As a bit of context, I have some olive gear sitting in boxes since 10ys+ and finally we have cleared out a basement room which makes room for a 2nd system. Hence this idea of SBL and creating a “vintage” system of the iconic naim stuff… 52, 135s, SBL. Very exciting project :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Indeed, you might even promote it to your main system…

Oh yes, it certainly will be.

I have recently completed my turn of the century passive Naim system - 52, sc, 135’s, cds2, xps. You just have wait for the right bits to come along, and be prepared to walk away from the wrong bits.

7 Likes

So I am feeling like an idiot. Apparently naim ship these speakers with a slim piece of card behind. It looks like it is just that this was simply never removed when installed - waiting for seller to confirm… :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Looking great Graeme. I always think a top Naim system needs a Sondek! Becoming hifi aware in the late 70s probably explains it…

1 Like

Ha ha! That is definitely something I would do lol!