Sbl sealing query

I replaced the tweeters on my SL2s a few months back (a so called Naim none matched pair) but purchased together from Willys HiFi (Willys matched pair) no regrets.

Look out for a pair with Hornslett cabinets (very late models), that is, ones which were veneered on every surface as opposed to being veneered only on outward facing surfaces, front and sides. Apparently they were the best sounding ones but I’ve never compared them so don’t know from personal experience. My Hornslett’s do sound profoundly good to me though.

1 Like

Lol
That’s exactly what I am looking in the web at this moment.
Found a nice pair, but they are 133xxx - assume this is before hornslet cabinets.
When was the exact date the latest cabinets where manufacturered?

I made a note in my box of Naim info and memorabilia that the first Hornslett cabinet made was serial number 146197 (1998). I don’t recall where I got that information from, it may have been the old forum. This would be mid run for the MKii’s which were made 1995-2002.

Maybe @Richard.Dane could confirm this, or not.

1 Like

Off the top of my head, '98 sounds right for the Hornslet cabinets. I wouldn’t get too hung up on finding a pair though - they’re nice but not so many around. The main upgrade was the move to the in-house Naim mid/bass drivers, easily spotted by the cast alloy basket with a pair of flat parallel sides. Many early SBLs were upgraded with the later drivers.

1 Like

Were the crossovers changed when the new in-house driver was fitted?

Thanks Richard,
I am really open to new speakers - but someone wrote here: „if you like what sbl does, it is hard to find another speaker“
I really think this can happen to me.
What kind of sound improvement could I expect when coming from mk1 mordaunt short to naim chassis.
I really like the sound of mine. It’s always hard to believe how it could be better… till the better arrives :slight_smile:

I’ve never compared the two, but many reports that the later Naim driver sounded superior - certainly it’s technically superior - with stiffer chassis, proper heat sink for the coil and pole piece, etc…

1 Like

New tweeters installed, a second waxing and now sounding absolutely superb.

Fed from my clone Krell KSA50, driven directly by my R2R discrete logic NOS dac by optical spdif from my LG tv. (switchable from optical to coax input for CDs)

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.