SBL upgrade. Help needed

I went from a set up very similar to yours With 135s and a Linn with the Lingo swapping out my SBLs for Neat Ultimatum XL6 speakers and I have to say I found them to be a major step up. And that was after I’d had two different pairs of SBLs for 20 years. But as some have said… it’s your ears and they are in your room! I would just recommend trying to hear them if you can recognising how difficult that is. Best of luck!

What’s the full spec?

(Welcome btw!)

Kore, Aro, Krystal, Valhalla

My system does not get that much use. It was in storage for 8 years. When I had my Troika changed last year I was informed that it only had 25% wear. I have probably used it for about 10 hours so far this year.

If you use it that little perhaps it’s best to just enjoy it as it is.

I had SBLs for 11 years but two years ago got SL2s. To my ears in my room with 52, sc, 300, nds, 555 (all non dr) the SL2s are a lot better sounding (now active 2x300dr, 552, nd555 and sounding v much better). More scale, drums sound much more natural, and am v happy with the change. Which doesn’t necessarily mean the OP would be

If you like what SBLs do then they are hard to replace. Some prefer SL2s (not me though) as they are also a boundary design. If you want more scale DBLs would be good but hard to find. If you want more Hi Fi then a non boundary design is probably the way to go if you have the room.

I have owned SBLs since 1988 and have no plans to change them. Given your low use I would leave them and just enjoy what you have.

Stu

7 Likes

How about a pair of Audio Note AN-Es?

The Audio note are very nice sounding, intimate, with a marvelous midrange. But they are the complete opposite of SBL, and not the fastest and involving speakers.
And with 2X 135, I doubt they will match fine. More with a Nait.

The sealed AN-K had my attention for a short while but agree not a good match with Naim, they had to go.

It is interesting that no-one picked up the tradition of the Linn/Naim speaker. Linn did make some good ones, like 242, in recent times. Neats new little isobaric look interesting on paper - but I have not heard it. We have a small company here that makes a small standmount like a mix of Sara/Kan but with high quality parts and an interesting crossover. I hope demo them later this year.

Then there is the cult following of the JBL 3677. But thats where I draw my red line.

Grab yourself a S/H Lingo from fleaBay…modest cost…it’s an easy swap…but astonishing gains.

So is there anyone in business who could service my SBLs. They are MkIs and I bought them pre-owned for £380 around ten years ago. I rather like them but they could do with an overhaul. I use them with LP12/Armageddon/ARO/Troika (ESC rebuilt), NAC52/Supercap/NAP250, CDS2/XPS,nDac/XPS fed by PC.

1 Like

@JazzMan…also looking for the same info…I have been told that Class A do it but yet to be confirmed.

There’s a chap called IIRC KennyG or similar on pfm who lives up North and is expert in doing the seals.

Also Cymbiosis sell sealant kits.

They are so many speakers that match well with Naim. Proac, Magico, Wilson, Wilson Benesh, ATC, Dynaudio, BW, Sonus Faber, Apertura, Pmc, …
And with modern design, new components…
Why stay with old vintage Naim. I don’t understand.

I had my 250 serviced recently by Class A. I also asked about my SBLs and Class A don’t do them.

2 Likes

I have 52/135s as well
I have them driving Kudos T88s.
Love them
David

Suzy, I have a Lingo from new. Thanks.

1 Like

I was thinking about Kudos. Thanks.

Great list. Thanks.

1 Like