Scanspeak tweeters

Hi GeoffC

If possible could you please say what the dimensions are of the weights?

Thanks

Pieman

@Pieman

The weight dimensions are 25 x 15 x 4mm.

Hi GeoffC

I had to change a sbl tweeter a while back, and it did not have the weight on the the back of the blown tweeter.
I will be refitting a new piece of brass bar, as it must help towards the damping of the tweeter enclosure.

Many thanks for the dimensions.

Regards,

Pieman

1 Like

This is how it is positioned.

1 Like

Hi Bassrock

Many thanks for the image

Pieman.

In preparation for my tweeter change, I recently found some Weller brand solder and wondered how old it might be as there was no date on it.

Then I noticed it said West Germany on the reel.

:laughing:

2 Likes

Would be very interested to hear about your progress and how you did it….:blush:

Karajan will sound better when you apply it

To be fair all the solder I have is full fat leaded. I can only imagine the speakers were soldered with the stuff to.

1 Like

I think my tweeters sound really good, but I’ve ordered some while I can. My SBLs are 25+. My hearing is probably deteriorating at a similar pace!

3 Likes

May I ask here if I need some Blue Hylomar for Credo tweeter replacement?

Yes. Best applied with a small medical syringe, so one can form a nice thin, neat and continuous bead.

1 Like

Thank you Stephen for your advice. Much appreciated. Can I use other adhesive sealant like silicone instead?

I was advised to use only Hylomar Blue for its adhesive quality.

1 Like

Its less than a five pounds on Amazon, why cut corners?

1 Like

Thanks again Stephen.

1 Like

I will order one but need to be posted from UK since it isn’t available in Thailand. Thanks Gazza.

1 Like

Hylomar is different to silicone, it’s a non-setting sealant rather than an adhesive. This means that although it will seal the joint, it never sets, so will accommodate any movement between the two surfaces. You can pull it apart, then reassemble it, and it will still work.
Silicone is an adhesive, and if you ever need to break the seal in future (in this case by removing the tweeter again) it will not be so easy.

1 Like

Ah I see. Thank you very much for your help to explain. :pray:

Hi
I am very tempted to replace my over 30 years tweeter of my SBL (running fine so far!). Have bought 2 pair of Scanspeaks.
I really think that there is a huge difference to new ones.
But:

• is it really so much better and the intended sound? The midband speaker must undergo also some altering. They alter together as do my ears :slight_smile: … and the crossover as well.
  • also my ears are so much adopted to the sound - I know myself. When there is no way back I tend to struggle with the new… (being a bit psycho :))

Maybe all excuses as I don’t want to change it myself.
But will do some day.
A day will come, when a perfect MK2 pops up and I will give it tio full service:

• new tweeters
  • recapping crossover
  • re-sealing

Yeah :slight_smile: