Schuko and IEC plugs tightening

Hi everybody, I open this topic to understand how the MAX torque (Nm) values mentioned in the guideline inside Furutech IEC and Shuko plugs may affect the connection quality. What is the problem with a higher torque? Is only to avoid to damage the screw and the clamping mechanism or there are other reasons? In the Furutech plugs I recently bought is indicated MAX torque of 150 cNm (approx 1,5 Nm). Any experience on it?

It’s simply the manufacturers recommended torque for that screw thread size made of that material.
The design of the wire clamping method & contact area is another matter.

1 Like

So if I well understood it’s only a mechanical recommendation to avoid to damage the screw thread and it does not affect the goodness of connection.

1 Like

II guess you can destroy the plastic and the threads if you turn the bolt to hard.
Nemko can answer the other question. But I have never heard about this before. My wild guess is that it is more than good enough.

1 Like

If the threads are plastic then you are probably exceeding the recommended torque just by hand tightening. If metal then same.

1 Like

I was thinking to buy a torque screwdriver but it cost 80€ at least. I’ll use the normal one with some common sense without exceeding.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.