Script to create standard metadata file from meta.naim?

Even better, it’s in json format; super easy to import in one line of python code. I’m a little surprised it’s not a dot json file, but doesn’t matter.

MP3Tag will happily take the info from the file NAMEs and create tags from it, as I highlighted above.

When I did mine I created tags of my name wavs with MP3Tag which then enabled me to convert them all to FLAC outside of the naim software. Richer information could then be found automatically. But on a basic level there is sufficient information now int he wav for say roon to give you all the info you need.

jq is like sed for JSON data - you can use it to slice and filter and map and transform structured data with the same ease that sed , awk , grep and friends let you play with text.

https://stedolan.github.io/jq/

It’s even easier in python, no extras required.

It appears that SongKong has a solution for what I want to do - i.e., add ID3 Tags to all the Naim-ripped WAV files in my collection using only the content from meta.naim files, including my manual edits.

The required lifetime “SongKong for Melco” lifetime license is UKP 65. I’m not familiar with Melco - it appears to be an audio server - but you don’y have to have the audio server for this tool to work.

Has anyone tried this? I’m interested in your thoughts.

Correction - it’s 65 USD, not UKP.

No experience with SongKong out there? I’m inclined to give it a try.

My project to rip my CDs and incorporate additional ripped libraries has been completed successfully. Final size is 5785 albums, all WAV and tagged with metadata including album art. Here’s a few key things I learned that might be useful to others:

• SongKong did a marvelous job using the Naim metadata to tag WAV files. From there, I could convert to FLAC and all the information would be embedded. Their technical support is excellent. I discovered a previously unknown bug in the way meta.naim files were used, and the fix appeared in a SongKong software update the next day!
  • Naim’s backup/restore function is efficient, robust, and not to be feared. I did it often. My advice for edits is to either make changes via the Naim App and run a backup, or to alter the backup file and run a restore. Do not edit the Core Music/MQ folder content except via the Naim app lest the Core lose its way. Backups and restores are differential, meaning they look for and save only the changes, so they are fast (1 minute) for changes to a small number of albums.
  • Rebuilding the database (indexing from scratch) takes time, and can require reboot by unplugging the Core from power if it hangs. For rough time estimation purposes: Indexing content on my Core’s internal SSD proceeded at 53 albums per minute, but indexing content from the remote Share on my NAS ran at 14 albums per minute.

I kept notes and made a 4-page document titled "Primer on Naim Rips via Uniti Core - Things I wish I knew, or had considered, in the beginning.”. PM me if you would like a copy. Or even better, perhaps someone with deep expertise (David, Chris?) could review it to see if it might be useful with some editing as a sticky on this forum.

Thanks for everyone’s help on this forum.

3 Likes

Glad you have succeeded! I would be happy to look at your paper and comment, but there isn’t actually a PM system on this forum. Possibly we can ask @Richard.Dane to act as an intermediary. He will have to decide whether this could be a FAQ anyway. Let’s see what he thinks.

Best

David

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.