Second hand vinyl

Having recently returned to vinyl I haven’t yet fully calibrated my expectations. However, I do find Discogs sellers are a little optimistic with their grading. Not returned anything yet so all is not lost for me.

1 Like

Records are funny things to buy. As Dan alludes to above, modernity is no indicator of sound quality, and, neither as I have found , are small surface scratches necessarily bad for sound quality.

I no longer buy second hand lps, preferring cds in this instance.

I like to be able to examine lps in strong natural light , examining them for flatness, and also whether or not the vinyl has a shine to it. This is a bit difficult to explain but I used to think if an lp was dull ( not necessarily grubby), then it may be well worn. Light surface scratches, as opposed to scratches and gouges I did not feel were much of a problem.

I also used to look at the centre hole : did it have loads of marks on the label indicating heavy use?

Not a de facto guide to buying good condition records, but some of the things I used to look for. Obviously buying sight unseen one cannot do this. Caveat emptor as usual…

2 Likes

I buy most of my second hand records at my local independent record shop. I can at least visually inspect them which you obviously can’t do when buying online. Prices at the record shop are really very reasonable and there is always new stock coming in every week as the owner buys collections sometimes from audiophiles who have really looked after their records. So I say support your local record shop. I have bought online from discogs a few times and have been pleasantly surprised that the records are as described. I have an Okki Nokki and clean all my records on this wether second hand or new. The lower noise floor after cleaning substantially increases the fidelity, if you have a large collection then you really ought to invest in a cleaning machine, another benefit is clean records will help you get more hours from your stylus and that’s no bad thing if your using something like a Linn Kandid.

1 Like

I have three used record shops within 2 miles of my home and I buy from all three of them. They are reputable types and I buy with confidence. My previous comment related only to Discogs and my own experience of sellers grading. They aren’t far off, just a little optimistic is all.

I too have an Okki Nokki RCM and also use it on new and used records to good effect. However, thank you pointing me in the right direction :+1:

1 Like

What’s best out of the three @Richard.Dane ? Thanks, Dan

I’ve used the Moth and it’s good if a bit utilitarian. The Okki Nokki I ruled out because I don’t like the idea of a full sized platter - I would be worried of contaminating it with the dirty side of an LP. I use a VC-S (late Mk1 version) and it works very well. It replaced my old and much used Nitty Gritty which I bought in the '90s.

3 Likes

The Okki Nokki (new version) comes with a full size and a label size(ish) platter. Takes 4 seconds to change. The vacuum arm adjusts for 7, 10 and 12 inch records.

From what I’ve read on here about the VC-S and my own experience of the ON, there’s not a lot to choose between. I decided to go for whichever I could get reasonably quickly given lockdown, and the VC-S was in short supply. I’m sure I would have been just as happy with the VC-S, but the ON is a great machine.

That’s a good idea from Okki Nokki. I would give that serious consideration then.

I’ve used both the Okki Nokki and Pro-Ject, and much preferred the Okki Nokki due to its full platter funnily enough, but both are brilliant at what they do. I found contamination of the cleaned LP side is a non issue if you are sensible and wipe it down with a damp (with distilled water) microfibre cloth. Both machines do exactly the same job, so it all comes down to which approach is preferred.

Incidentally, my dealer sold the Pro-Ject VCS but he personally owned an Okki Nokki. Plus, the new recently launched Okki Nokki One is allegedly a lot quieter than previous incarnations too.

I’ve stopped buying used vinyl on eBay as they’ve never turned up as expected/described and in most cases were returned or just refunded.
I’ve never used Discogs other than for information. All of my decent vinyl has come from EIL online or Cob Records in Porthmadog when calling in.
I’ll admit to being very fussy and I only have about 50 or 60 used albums in my collection. Probably only a handful of those met my expectations. I can see how one man’s “Excellent” is another man’s “Very Good” but “Mint” or “Near Mint” is not really a subjective opinion IMO.

With regards to an RCM, I use the Moth. It’s a bit industrial and noisy but it works a treat.

Cob Records - a fabulous second hand record shop. I bought a lot of records from the Bangor store (now closed) when an impressionable teenager. Must try and get over to Porthmadog to browse the racks over the summer.

1 Like

I was only checking out their website last week.

Lots of great advice on here, thank you…looks like I’m buying a record cleaning machine, it’s be interesting to hear the difference with my own old LPs

It is worth looking on the usual secondhand outlets (including dealers), as some people buy a record cleaning machine just to refurb a collection ready to sell, and then sell on their RCM after.

I have to admit I was rather sceptical as to the benefits of a RCM, but having used one to spruce up my old records, I now see them as an essential purchase if using vinyl as a source. I’ve transformed quite a few examples in my collection which I thought were past saving, only to be very pleasantly surprised as to how they improved. An RCM won’t repair damage obviously, but it is a valuable asset for when buying used records.

Yes, their website could be improved and updated somewhat!

1 Like

Agreed, I used to be very sceptical but now wouldnt be without it.
Not just for used records either, the best time to clean a record is from new. Its surprising how much unwanted “noise” is present on a new record (actually it isn’t that surprising when the manufacturing process of a vinyl record is considered)
:heart:

You should be able to buy from Discogs with confidence if you follow a couple of simple guidelines.
Discogs uses a grading system which imo is quite clear and non subjective

Under sale listings every record has a little (i) icon next to the condition, click on that and the grading definition will pop up.
If you recieve a record that objectively does not match the grading description to the letter, then it is not as described, contact the seller for a refund or negotiate a price reduction. If the seller doesnt play ball (I always pay on a credit card) you can dispute the charge and get a refund through your card issuer.

If you see a record your interested in but a bit hesitant, contact the seller for some more information, if you get a helpful response probably a good seller, if you get a snotty reply or no reply, avoid.
:heart:

I have just seen a very positive review of a piece of kit in What HiFi, the Sugarcube SC-2.
Looks like it has software which can filter out vinyl clicks. It appears to be able to filter ten levels of severity, can also record vinyl to digital, and costs about £2.3K.
I’d be concerned that masking exceptionally dirty or damaged records, would in turn damage my styus.

Personally I buy new and used vinyl from all the usual sources, plus from a stall in local market. The guy in the market takes back anything I’m not happy with, no quibbles. So far I have only have to return about one in about 20.

I clean everything on VCS-2, sometimes twice or three times if necessary. Records I bought 40 years ago and thought were worn, were just manky They come up better than they were new. Even brand new stuff benefits from a quick clean. Not sure if there’s a die-release agent which is removed.

I look upon anti-click software with great suspicion. In my experience I invariably much prefer hearing vinyl warts and all than post-processed. Better to try to get the LP as clean as possible and then just use your brain to filter out the clicks. In some cases LP damage becomes a part of an LP; I have a copy of Hunky Dory like this that I bought while at school. It’s still in really nice condition but it did pick up one or two areas where either myself or friends clumsily cued or picked the stylus off the record. They have now become a part of the experience and sometimes it can sound odd if I listen to the CD or a different copy of the LP and the clicks aren’t there.

6 Likes

Absolutely agree richard streaming can t compete with the history embedded in those clicks on records I ve known for decades.
doesn’t t apply so much to more recent records
Nigel